- Local pharmacies and drug stores sell teeth whitening kits that are cost effective compared to making a trip to the dentist.
Nowadays, it has become easier to remove stains on one's teeth without having to pay large sums of money. Local pharmacies and drug stores sell teeth whitening kits that are cost effective compared to making a trip to the dentist. Most of these products do not cause any side effects if the individual follows instructions correctly.
Tips to remember while whitening your teeth:
- Discuss with your dentist – Even if you are using an over-the-counter whitening product, get your teeth cleaned by a professional and get a checkup done first. It is possible that a thorough cleaning can bring back shine to the teeth. A regular examination can help to identify the cavities, if any. Cavities should be treated to maintain the sparkling look of white teeth. Further, whitening should be postponed if there are any inflammations in the gums. Getting teeth checked by a dentist will help to look out for gum inflammation also. Talk to a dentist about an ideal product for you. Teeth do darken with age, and you can inquire about how much whitening one can expect from the product.
- Check the whitening product – Over-the-counter products for teeth whitening contain different concentrations, generally between 10% and 20% of carbamide peroxide. The ideal option would be the one that contains a mid range of bleaching agent. See whether you can tolerate the concentration; if you are not happy with the whitening effect, choose one with a higher concentration.
- Follow instructions carefully – Allowing the strips and gels to remain for a longer period can irritate gums. Many products, if left for more than the recommended time, can lead to inflammation of the gums and associated problems. Avoid having acidic beverages for a few hours after whitening, to protect the teeth.
- Realistic use – If you are pregnant or a nursing mother, postpone whitening to a later time. Over-the-counter products mention that the products do not affect crowns. Therefore, if you have teeth that show crown while smiling, using the product might give uneven coloring for teeth.
- Beware of sensitive teeth – Some products can cause tooth sensitivity. If the treatment causes any sensitivity or irritation, discontinue the use and discuss with a dentist. However, if the teeth and gums are in good condition, treatment may not cause any significant issues.