What Do Genital Warts Look Like?
Warning: Graphic content
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has been found to effectively treat genital warts. The acetic acid in it is corrosive in nature, which means that it can remove tissues when it remains in contact with the affected skin for a period of time. Simply apply it on the affected area using a cotton ball and leave it overnight. Continue doing this remedy until your warts have completely vanished after 2 to 3 weeks.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has an antiviral effect. It is a wonderful antiseptic and has antifungal properties as well. It directly targets genital warts without affecting the surrounding skin.
Garlic and Vitamin E
Garlic has both antibacterial and antiviral properties, which is why it is effective in winding away genital warts. Combine it with vitamin E and you will witness its effectiveness in getting rid of your genital warts. You can get vitamin E from fish oil.
Onion is known for its antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. For this remedy, cut the onion in slices and sprinkle salt on it. Leave it overnight. Salt has antibacterial properties as well, so it will speed up the healing process.
This oil consists of multiple complex compounds that are helpful in treating genital warts. Castor oil has a pungent smell, which can be unbearable for some people. Hence, if you are also worried about its smell, you can mix it with peppermint oil.
Green tea has also been helpful in removing genital and anal warts. All you need is water, green tea leaves, and a pot. Boil the water in the pot and add green tea leaves. Let it simmer for 15 minutes and turn off the flame. Let the tea sit for another 5 minutes (covered). Strain the tea and drink it twice a day. Green tea bags can also be applied to the affected region to ward off the infection.
You will need some aloe vera leaves or an aloe vera gel. Break the leaves or squeeze the gel out the tube and apply on the affected area. Cover it with a bandage and leave it overnight. Repeat the process for 2 to 3 weeks.
Take a banana peel and cut a small portion of it. Apply the peel and make sure that it covers the whole affected area (yellow side up). Fix the peel with a bandage and leave it overnight. Do this method for a few weeks until you see good results.
Witch hazel is a fine herb that can cure genital warts. It has an astringent nature, which makes it a perfect solution for genital warts as it makes the undesirable tissues to shrink and then eventually fall off.
Bromelain is a beneficial enzyme found in pineapples. Pineapple juice helps to break down genital warts. Bromelain is medically used to treat inflammatory skin conditions such as eczema, acne, and dermatitis. Moreover, pineapple is rich in manganese, which avoids scars once the warts are treated.
Oils can be directly applied to the warts or you can mix them with another oil such as olive oil and almond oil, and then apply this blend to the warts. The oils suitable for the treatment of genital warts include sandalwood oil, lemon oil, vitamin E, fish oil, cashew nut oil, oregano oil, and cod liver oil.
Potatoes are so readily available making them one of the simplest and quickest remedies for genital warts. Cut thick slices from one or two potatoes and rub these slices on the genital warts. Repeat this method several times a day and continue doing so for two weeks or until the warts are healed.
Apply thuja oil on genital warts at least three times a day. This remedy may take some time for the warts to heal, but just continue doing so for two weeks or more.
What Are Genital Warts?
If you have noticed any kind of swelling or small lesions around the genital or anal region, they could be warts. Warts are usually seen as flesh-colored bumps present on the skin. Genital warts are generally not considered to be painful, but they could turn out to be quite itchy. Genital warts are seen as a common form of skin infection that is known to be caused due to the human papillomavirus (HPV). This infection is commonly spread through sexual intercourse and also by not maintaining proper genital hygiene. These genital warts are known to be small growths that appear on the genital region. Genital warts affect both men and women, but it is seen more often in women. Since women are quite vulnerable to certain complications, some types of the HPV virus can also lead to cancer of the vulva or cervix in women if proper treatment is not sought.
An individual may not begin to develop these warts for several weeks after the infection. Many a times, the symptoms as well are not visible to the human eye. These warts are said to be generally transmitted through sexual activity. The warts are often difficult to diagnose by the human eye alone. The top of the wrath growth would greatly resemble cauliflower, and it would feel slightly smooth or bumpy. Many a times, it is not just one wart, but it can also form a cluster of warts.
When we talk about genital warts in men, they are known to appear in regions such as the thighs, groin, penis, scrotum, and around or inside the anus.
When we talk about females, genital warts is known to mostly occur in regions such as the cervix or the inside or outside of the anus or vagina.
At times, genital warts may also appear on the mouth, lips, throat, or tongue if the individual has had oral sex with another person who is or was previously infected with genital warts.
Below are a few of the symptoms experienced by individuals who suffer from genital warts:
- Burning sensation in the genital region
- Bleeding, in certain cases
- Abnormal discharge from the vagina
- Constant itching sensation
The doctor would initially carry out a physical examination of the entire region where they suspect the genital warts to be growing. Since many times these warts are known to be present deep inside the body (this is especially the case in women), the doctor would need to carry out a pelvic examination. In certain cases, the doctor would also take a swab of the area to obtain a sample of cells from the cervix. These would then be treated for the presence of a virus.
Apart from carrying out a physical examination, the doctor would also ask to perform certain examinations to check the individual’s health and sexual history. There would be a few questions that may be asked regarding the symptoms noticed during sexual intercourse, including oral sex.
Once the virus enters the bloodstream, it becomes difficult to eliminate it. Hence, it is important to manage the symptoms so as to avoid the spread of the disease to another individual. It is difficult or impossible to get genital warts treated with over-the-counter medicines or wart removers. It is always advisable to consult a physician for a proper and complete genital wart treatment plan. The doctor can also prescribe trichloroacetic acid, imiquimod, or podophyllin.
Genital warts can also be removed by carrying out any of the below methods, but it should be done only by a professional doctor:
- Laser treatments
- Excision, or cutting off the warts
- Burning warts with electric currents
There are certain inexpensive home remedies one can try to treat genital warts. They include:
- Garlic and vitamin E: Garlic is known to contain both antibacterial as well as antiviral properties, and so, for this reason, it is said to be very effective in getting rid of genital warts. One can also combine it with vitamin E and then you can witness its effectiveness in getting rid of these genital warts. One can get vitamin E from fish oil, for example. For its application, you can just apply fish oil on the genital warts by using a cotton ball and then cover the region with a crushed garlic.
- Oils: Apart from castor oil, there are certain other oils that can be applied onto the genital warts. These oils are meant to be applied directly onto the genital warts, or you can also mix them with another oil such as olive oil or almond oil, and then you would apply this mixture to the wart. The list of various oils that can be used for the mixture combination are sandalwood oil, lemon oil, vitamin E, fish oil, cashew nut oil, oregano oil, and cod liver oil.
- Potatoes: In Ayurveda, potatoes are considered to be a cure for genital warts. Potatoes are full of essential nutrients and also contain vitamin C, potassium, and antioxidants. Potatoes are also readily available, hence, it makes for a simple and quick remedy in the comfort of one’s home. The enzymes that are present in potatoes are known to work and heal genital warts. Be sure to cut thick slices from one or two potatoes and then rub those slices on the genital warts. Repeat this activity about several times a day and continue doing so for about two weeks’ time or until the warts are healed completely.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe Vera is considered to be a very skin-friendly herb. This herb is used as a treatment option for healing multiple medical conditions, such as diabetes, lipids, genital warts, and herpes. You can take some aloe vera gel in your hand and then rub it on \to your warts multiple times during the day. At times, an individual may apply the aloe gel onto the warts and then cover them up with a bandage. This can be repeated for about two to three weeks’ time or until the warts are removed.
Risks factors and complications: An individual who is sexually active is always at risk of getting HPV if they are having unprotected sex. Apart from sexual activity, there are also other criteria for people to contract this disease:
- An individual with a history of child abuse
- Pregnant women who have the virus can also transmit the virus to the baby during child birth
- Being a chain smoker
- An individual with an impaired immune system caused due to certain illnesses or medical conditions.
HPV is known to be the leading cause of cancer in the cervix and vulva, as well as penile or anal cancer. This needs to be addressed in a timely manner before it becomes too late. Hence, reach out to a doctor the moment you feel something is not right.