Experts are of the opinion that supplements are the best way for chronic pain management. More and more people are turning to supplements for alleviating pain.
Some of the supplements that are commonly used in pain management include:
- Fish oil – Many studies show that fish oil helps many conditions, including depression, cardiovascular diseases, and asthma. Fish oil contains omega-3 fatty acids that help in reducing headaches, back pain, nerve pain, and pain associated with rheumatoid arthritis. Combining fish oil with other supplements, like turmeric and ginger, increases the effect of fish oil. One should consult with a doctor before taking any of the combinations to avoid complications.
- Vitamin D – Low levels of vitamin D are associated with chronic pain. Studies show that people with low levels of vitamin D need higher doses of pain killers, when compared to others. Vitamin supplements are found to be useful in alleviating pain in fibromyalgia, and bone and joint pain.
- Capsaicin – This supplement obtained from chili peppers help in relieving pain due to psoriasis, shingles, rheumatoid arthritis, and diabetic neuropathy. It is also found to be good for back pain, headaches, and fibromyalgia. Some people may get skin irritation with capsaicin supplements.
- Anti-inflammatory supplements – The most common causes for pain is inflammation. Ginger, tea, rosemary, devil’s claw, and willow bark have anti-inflammatory properties, and prevent swelling and pain. But, some of these herbs may have side effects, like an upset stomach or bleeding. People who are taking blood-thinning drugs may need to discuss with the doctor before taking any of the supplements.
- Glucosamine sulfate – This supplement is considered to be the best to alleviate joint pain associated with osteoarthritis. This is often combined with chondroitin to get more benefits from the supplements.
- Alpha-lipoic acid –This supplement is usually used to reduce the pain associated with diabetic neuropathy. It increases the sensitivity of insulin and thus helps in improving diabetes.
- Bromelain – This supplement obtained from pineapple helps in reducing inflammation and pain, particularly in osteoarthritis.
- Pain can be managed by several supplements and herbal remedies.
- While there are several remedies available to alleviate pain, one should consult with a doctor before treatment.