- Tests that are done to establish how fit the body digests lactose is called a lactose intolerance test. Lactose is a sugar found in dairy products.
- Symptoms associated with lactose intolerance are cramping and nausea, and are seen a short while after consuming dairy products.
- Lactose intolerance can be scrutinized via three types of tests, they are; lactose intolerance test ,stool acidity test, and hydrogen breath test.
The process of establishing how well your body can digest lactose sugar is called lactose intolerance. The body is usually able to digest milk together with other dairy products, aided by the lactase enzyme harbored in the small intestine. The lactase enzyme splits down lactose through digestion.
Nonetheless, people have different degrees of lactase. In place of lactose being digested, the milk sugars undergo fermentation after remaining in the intestine. The inability to process this milk sugar is called lactose intolerance.
Examining and Testing for Lactose Intolerance
In case your physician assumes you have been affected by lactose intolerance, they will inquire about your past medical conditions. Prior to the examination, the physician may request you to refrain from dairy products and see if the condition becomes better. A stool sample might be requested. Patients of lactose intolerance normally have a thin and lathered stool.
To carry out the test, the physician may advise:
- Hydrogen breath test. This lactose intolerance test offers the best findings. Prior to testing, you have to avoid certain medicine, food, and smoking. During the test, you will take a lactose drink, then exhale into a gadget several times an hour. In the event the levels of hydrogen turn out to be high, lactose intolerance may be affecting you. Babies and small children are not subjected to this test since it can lead to stern diarrhea.
- Lactose tolerance test. It involves checking the blood sugar levels after drinking or taking lactose. You are not supposed to drink or eat anything after midnight the day prior to testing. You will be requested to drink plenty of lactose drinks on test day. This brings about belly gas or pains. Blood tests will then be done at intervals of 30 Minutes to 2 hours. In cases where lactose amounts does not fluctuate, chances are you are lactose resistant. This test can be performed on diabetics as well. Also, it cannot be performed on infants.
- Stool acidity test. Stool acidity procedures can only be done to infants and babies. Lactic acid together with other acids is generated through fermentation of undigested lactose. It is normally recognized through a sampling of the stool.
When should a Lactose Tolerance Test be recommended?
If you possess symptoms of lactose intolerance, the doctor might recommend this test. The best known symptoms of this condition are nausea and cramping after consuming dairy products. Other symptoms are gas, diarrhea and also bloating upon consuming lactose rich foods.
Consider the findings of the National Digestive Information Clearing House (NDDIC). Adults and children that are born prematurely often experience Lactose intolerance. In case your physician assumes you are lactose intolerant, they will request that you do away with all dairy foods in your diet to improve conditions.
Preparing for a Lactose Tolerance Test
It’s advisable to request your physician to elaborate on the test you are about to take, and to inquire about any dietary limitations as well. The doctor may advise you to stay away from food and drinks eight hours prior to testing. Exercise may also be stopped.
Confirm that the doctor is aware of complications that may have affect you and medical prescriptions that you are under. Various foods and medical procedures affect results of the tests. Results may be affected by smoking too.
- In case your physician assumes you have been affected by lactose intolerance, they will inquire about your past medical conditions
- Stool acidity procedures can only be done to infants and babies
- It’s advisable to request your physician to elaborate on the test you are about to take, and to inquire about dietary limitations as well