There are multiple medications that can successfully treat depression. However, many individuals are interested in taking the natural route, to find natural remedies to cure their depression. There are many alternative therapies that can help to control the symptoms of moderate to severe depression. Yet, none of the alternative therapies are proven to be safe and effective to control this condition. Anyone who plans utilize any alternatives or natural treatments for depression, should discuss it with their doctor before making a decision.
Some of the common therapies used to treat depression include:
- Herbal remedies and supplements – One of the most popular herbs used to treat a variety of conditions is St. John’s wort. It is often used as a dietary supplement, and is used to treat mild to moderate depression in different parts of the world. SAMe, or S- adenosylmethionine, is also used as a dietary supplement. Omega-3 fatty acids, when used along with other standard depression treatments, are known to lift moods considerably, and ease depression. Folate supplements are used, along with other depression treatments, to improve its efficiency. However, these supplements are not regulated by the FDA and should only be taken after being discussed with a doctor.
- Meditation and yoga – Meditation and yoga promote relaxation; these two techniques are considered useful in treating depression. Some studies show that these methods, which include breathing techniques, relaxation, and physical postures, may be helpful to control the symptoms to a certain extent.
- Massage therapy – Based on the principle that mind and body are interconnected, massage therapy allows for the relaxation of the body to achieve mental relaxation and better health.
- Exercise – It goes without saying that exercise helps to ease stress, relax the body, and reduce the symptoms of depression. Moreover, exercising can provide the energy the individual needs to motivate themselves to fall back into his or her daily routine.
- Guided imagery – It is a method of visualization that may be helpful to promote relaxation. For this technique, all the senses are used to bring out the best possible response. This method requires time and good practice, for a better response.
- Music therapy – Music is the ideal therapy to reduce fear, anxiety, and grief.
- There are several alternatives to medication used to treat depression.
- Herbal remedies can help alleviate any stress or depressed feelings.
- Massage therapy promotes relaxation, which can lesson the symptoms of depression.