The company name doTERRA is derived from Latin, which means “gift of the Earth”. The company's mission is to share therapeutic grade essential oils to the world. The company is formed by a group of healthcare professionals and business professionals, who aimed to make their mission a reality. On April 25, 2008, doTERRA made its first sale, which included 25 single oils and 10 blended oils.
Essential oils are the distilled form of the different parts of plants. They are highly concentrated phytochemicals that are non-water soluble. Essential oils are very potent because their phytochemical concentration is very high. They are obtained from the leaves, flowers, roots, and other parts of the plant and finally distilled to the purest form. You can also buy distillate online.
Functions of Essential Oils
Generally, the functions of essential oils include:
- Helps deal with infections
- Supports the function of the immune system
- Hastens the recovery process
- Helps in hormonal imbalances
- Useful in homemade cleaning products
- Used in beauty products
- Diffused in air for air cleansing
- Used topically when diluted
- Adds aroma and flavor when cooking
- Helps ward off pests when used as a homemade insect spray
1. Wild Orange (Citrus sinensis)
It is one of doTERRA's top-selling essential oils. It has multiple health benefits and has an aroma that energizes and uplifts the mind and body.
- It has purifying and stimulating qualities. It boosts the health of the immune system. On surfaces, it can be used as a natural cleanser. It can be used to clean the body as well. With its fresh, sweet, and refreshing aroma, it can enhance and blend with other essential oils.
- Used in all-purpose sprays to purify and clean surfaces.
- A drop of Wild Orange essential oil can be added to water daily to promote overall health. It will also give a burst of flavor.
- It can be mixed with Frankincense and Peppermint essential oil in equal parts for an energizing boost. The mixture can be inhaled deeply after rubbing it on the palms.
2. Lime (Citrus aurantifolia)
When taken internally or used topically, this essential oil provides cleansing benefits. It is known for its distinct taste and aroma. It purifies surfaces, skin, and air. This essential oil is refreshing and energizing in both aroma and taste. It is frequently used in beverages and entrées due to its fresh citrus flavor. It can provide internal cleansing benefits due to its high limonene content. It can also be used to purify the air by diffusion. It can act as a natural cleanser on surfaces.
It is known for its energizing, uplifting, and balancing abilities. For its purifying properties, it is frequently used as a facial and body cleanser.
- It can be diffused in the air for cleansing.
- It can help lift up one's mood.
- Helps remove sticker residues and grease spots.
- It can be used in beverages to enhance flavor.
- Added to facial cleansers or shampoos due to its cleansing properties.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Has stimulating and refreshing properties that positively affect the mood.
- Promotes overall well-being and emotional balance.
3. Lemon (Citrus limon)
It possesses purifying, cleansing, and invigorating properties. It is one of doTERRA's most versatile and top-selling essential oils.
- It is used as a cleansing agent in purifying air and surfaces. It can be used as a non-toxic cleaner at home.
- Throughout the day, Lemon essential oil can provide a refreshing and healthy boost when it is added to water.
- Lemon essential oil can aid in seasonal respiratory discomfort when taken internally. Thus, it supports a healthy respiratory function.
- It can be added to a spray water bottle to clean tables and surfaces such as countertops.
- A few drops of Lemon essential oil to olive oil make it a great furniture polish. It can be used to clean, polish, and protect wood finishes.
- Lemon essential oil can also be used to protect and preserve leather surfaces, furniture, and garments.
- It is a great remedy for tarnished silver and other metals in early stages.
- It can uplift an environment by promoting a positive mood.
- It can naturally cleanse the body and helps in digestion.
4. Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
It promotes vitality and is refreshing and energizing. Cypress essential oil is often used by massage therapists and in spas. Its topical application invigorates the senses. It has also a grounding yet stimulating effect on one's emotions. It is beneficial for oily skin conditions since it contains monoterpenes.
- It can be applied to the feet and legs before a long run for an energizing boost.
- Can be applied on the chest prior to gardening to promote vitality and energy.
- To invigorate the senses, it can be diffused with Lime essential oil.
- For an invigorating massage, it can be mixed with Grapefruit essential oil and doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Can be used as a toner to improve the appearance of oily skin.
5. Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
Due to its versatile uses, Lavender essential oil is to be kept on hand all the time. It has calming and relaxing properties. It can ease tension and promotes a peaceful sleep.
- Lavender has been cherished for centuries for its myriad of benefits. It was used earlier for relaxation, perfume for bathing, and in cooking. It is also known for its calming and relaxing properties. Skin imperfection can be reduced when lavender is topically applied. It can be applied at the back of the neck and added to bath water to reduce stress.
- For a peaceful sleep, a few drops can be added to your pillows, beddings, and the bottom of your feet before bedtime.
- Soothes occasional skin irritations.
- Lavender can be added to a spray water bottle to freshen linens, closet, car, or mattresses.
- It can be taken internally to help relieve anxiety.
- Lavender essential oil can be used in cooking, baked goods, marinades, and dessert to give a flavorful twist.
6. Geranium (Pelargonium graveolens)
Geranium has beautifying purposes. It promotes a glowing healthy skin and hair. It also has a sweet powerful floral aroma.
Out of the 200 different varieties, only a few of them can be used to make essential oils. Since ancient times, it has been used for skin beautification and other uses. Its edible leaves and flowers are often used in cakes, jellies, desserts, and teas.
In the Victorian era, it was used as a decoration and placed on the dining tables. When desired, it was also consumed as a fresh sprig. Geranium promotes the healthy appearance of the hair and skin, so it is often used in skin care and hair products.
- It helps ease stress and calms the nerves.
- Naturally, it is known to repel insects.
- Used in aromatherapy steam facial to improve the skin.
- It can be added to moisturizers for a smoothing effect.
- It can be added to shampoos or conditioners since it is beneficial for dry and oily hair.
- For a calming effect, it can be aromatically diffused.
7. Sandalwood (Santalum album)
Indian sandalwood has a sweet woody aroma. It can be used during meditation and can help improve skin imperfections. It also has soothing properties.
- Sandalwood has been highly valued over the centuries. Its multiple applications have been documented in history. It was traditionally used in meditation and religious ceremonies as incense.
- It is also beneficial for the skin when it comes to improving its appearance. It promotes a smooth and healthy skin complexion.
- Sandalwood essential oil can be used in home spas for a rejuvenating effect and skin nourishment.
- It can be applied to wet hair to give it a silky shine and restore moisture.
- To reduce tension, it can be diffused into the air or applied on the palms for deep inhalation. It also helps to balance emotions and improves mood.
- Reduces skin scars.
8. Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata)
It is used to support healthy skin and hair. It is obtained from a unique star-shaped flower. It provides a calming effect and promotes a positive outlook.
It is used in aromatherapy and in making perfumes. This essential oil has been used for centuries in religious and wedding ceremonies. It is also used to reduce tension and stress. It is also used in hair and skin care products due to its scent as well as its nourishing and protective properties. It can blend very well with Grapefruit, Vetiver, Bergamot, and Geranium.
- For relaxation, Ylang Ylang can be added to an Epsom salt bath.
- It can be used in aromatherapy steam facial to freshen the skin.
- It can be used as a sweet floral perfume by rubbing it on your wrists.
- Can be used as a deep hair conditioner when added to doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
- Can be internally taken for antioxidant support.
- Provides a calming effect by uplifting the mood.
9. Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea)
It has relaxing and soothing properties. It has been used since the Middle Ages. It calms the skin and rejuvenates it.
Its relaxing, soothing, and balancing effect is attributed to its chemical component called linalyl acetate, which is a part of the ester group. It promotes a peaceful sleep and provides relaxation when inhaled. It is frequently used to soothe the skin.
- For a soothing massage during a menstrual cycle, rub 3-4 drops on the abdomen.
- For a stress-relieving bath, mix Clary Sage essential oil and Roman Chamomile to bath water.
- To maintain a healthy scalp and hair, add it to your hair conditioner or shampoo.
- At bedtime, diffuse it or add a few drops to your pillow to promote a good night's sleep.
- To rejuvenate the skin, it can be combined with doTERRA Fractionated Coconut Oil.
10. Frankincense (Boswellia carterii, frereana, and sacra)
Due to its rich aroma, it can be used as a room spray. It also provides relaxing and calming benefits. Frankincense essential oil promotes skin rejuvenation. The chemical properties of this oil help reduce skin imperfections.
- It can also be used during meditation by diffusion.
- It provides a feeling of satisfaction, relaxation, and overall wellness.
- It can promote a positive mood and focus throughout the day due to its strong aromatic properties.
- Supports a healthy cellular function by adding it in a veggie capsule and taking it internally.
- This oil can help improve the look of scaly hands during winter. It can be added to moisturizers to hydrate and rejuvenate the skin.
- It adds a spicy and warm scent to the skin.
- It also makes the nails look healthy and strong when applied around the cuticles and edges of fingernails.
- Its chemical components have a powerful aroma, which can help dispel negative feelings such as stress.
Apply Frankincense essential oil to the bottom of your feet when you feel weighed down by external pressures. It promotes feelings of relaxation, soothing sensations, and a balanced mood.
Massage your feet and hands with this oil after doing various activities such as planting seasonal flowers, biking dirt paths, and other outdoor adventures. A massage can give a warming and soothing effect.
Create your own blend of Frankincense, Sandalwood, and Grapefruit essential oils. This blend of essential oils uplifts mood and encourages relaxation.
It has health-promoting aromatic properties. Thus, it is regarded as the "king of oils". Everyday lifestyle can be easily improved with this oil due to its powerful properties.
The components present in Frankincense are a mixture of monoterpenes such as alpha-Pinene, alpha-thujene, limonene, and beta-Pinene. When applied topically, its chemicals can help renew the effects, and when taken internally, it has the ability to support diverse cells of the body.
11. doTERRA On Guard (Protective Blend)
It is advertised as a protective blend, which is used to kill harmful bacteria and viruses. Thus, it promotes the health of the immune system. It is a blend of six ingredients, which include Cinnamon Leaf, Cinnamon Bark, Clove Bud, Eucalyptus Leaf, Wild Orange Peel, and Rosemary Leaf/Flower.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Supports a healthy respiratory function.
- Provides protection from environmental threats.
- Naturally strengthens the body's antioxidant defenses.
- Improves blood circulation.
- Provides an uplifting and energizing aroma.