Photo: SomnaPatch by Somnarus. Source: Sleep Review Mag.
Once again, the Consumer Electronics Show or CES has made another remarkable event last January 2018 in Las Vegas for the latest innovations today. This year, they showcased technology that can be used to aid those with sleep disorders, like insomnia, restless leg syndrome, and sleep apnea. According to research, these conditions were already affecting almost 90 million people in the US alone. So, it’s important to consider some of the latest devices for sleeping issues that were featured in the CES show, including those diagnosed with sleep apnea.
Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that makes a person stop breathing while sleeping. It can be pauses in breathing for several times in a few seconds or even minutes while sleeping. It is a serious condition that causes the brain and the body to not receive the oxygen needed. At times, a pause usually follows a loud snore. Sadly, not everyone knows they have this sleep disorder because many of the symptoms are experienced when they're sleeping.
Common devices that help treat sleep disorders
Before looking at the latest devices featured at CES, take a look at the common devices that are already used by patients with sleeping disorders:
- CPAP machine: CPAP stands for continuous positive airway pressure. It consists of a mask or a device fitting around the nose or the nose and mouth
- BiPAP or Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure: This is almost similar to the CPAP, but the settings are different.
- APAP or Automatic positive airway pressure: Its appearance is similar to a CPAP.
- Adaptive Servo Ventilation (ASV machine): A non-invasive ventilator treatment that similar to CPAP and BiPAP but has a unique setting. Though, this cannot be used to treat everyone
- Mouth/oral appliances: These are used while sleeping and usually resemble a mouth guard or an orthodontic retainer.
- Designed pillows: These are specially designed medical pillows that help the patient to have a good night sleep.
Sleep apnea devices presented in CES 2018
While it's easy to look at different treatment products on the internet, taking a look at these featured produce in the CES is not only beneficial, but also helpful as these are a sure-thing to help make you feel better.
You do not need to even wear this device as it uses bio-motion sensors instead. This is more comfortable to use, as it will not be attached to any part of your body since it only needs to be placed beside your bed. These are its benefits:
- Monitor how a person sleeps
- Track how long it takes for a person to fall asleep
- Track how often a person wakes up or is awoke
- Monitor how long a person actually is asleep
- Check breathing patterns
- Track the body movements
- Check the temperature in the room
Furthermore, it also is used to gather other kinds of data, like how many caffeinated drinks a person had and how much a person exercied that day; it can even measure the level of stress the patient has. Not only does it measure more of the medical aspects of the patient, but also their surroundings, concerning the room's ambient sounds and light.
After getting the collected data, the device will recommend what a person would need to do in order to enhance the amount of sleep. So, it will give advice regarding maintaining a healthy lifestyle to help with sleep issues. SleepScore Max is absolutely a great device as it can be shared with so many different family members. For a price of $149, it is never a waste as it is very helpful for someone's cardiac and mental health. In addition, it is also a tool to get educated regarding the significance of lifestyle in sleep.
This is the other highlighted device featured at CES 2018, and it is manufactured by Somnarus. It is supposed to be worn while sleeping, but it is not distracting as it is just a small device. According to Somnarus, SomnaPatch is the world’s lightest and most comfortable disposable home sleep monitor covered by insurance companies. These are just a few of the things this device can do:
- Tracks sleep
- Tracks airflow
- Tracks respiratory rate and effort
- Tracks heart rate
- Tracks blood oxygen levels
- Tracks body position
Somnapatch can be used exclusively at home, so it removes that extra burden of spending a ton of money in hospitals. There’s also no need to allot a budget for expensive laboratory tests, which means you no longer need to schedule an appointment with the doctor. It eliminates being absent from work, and it will also allow you to spend some more quality time with your family. SomnaPatch is indeed a home sleep study device that has many benefits attached to it.
Here's more about sleep apnea
It is also important to know more about sleeping disorders such as sleep apnea. This sleeping disorder typically affects those who are 55-60 years old, and the symptoms include:
- Pauses in breathing or shallow breathing while sleeping
- A headache in the morning
- Mood swings, irritability or depression
- Frequently waking up to urinate
- Problems with memory or learning
- Difficulty in concentrating
- A sore throat or dry mouth when waking up
The moment the brain fails to send a signal to the lungs for breathing during sleep is called CSA or Central Sleep Apnea. The risks of having high blood pressure, heart problem, and diabetes also increase due to sleep apnea.
According to research, 80% of people suffering from sleep apnea are not diagnosed and not aware of their physical state. However, though it's often brushed aside, sleep apnea is a serious problem. If ignored, sleep apnea can take a great toll on your overall health. So, if you observe more than one of the above symptoms, it's important to speak to sleep medicine specialist right away.
Electronic companies are keen to deliver innovative products that help treat sleep disorders. Sleep apnea is one of the most common sleep disorders today, which is why they are looking for cheaper options to study sleep activity. These companies want to eliminate the old ways of treating sleep apnea and would rather want people to maximize both their money and their time.
So, if you haven't already, be sure to check out these products that were presented at the CES show, and see which one fits you in the best possible way.