Brand: Adrenalin, Epipen, Twinject
Adrenalin is a drug which is used to treat serious allergic reactions due to food, drugs, insect stings or bites and other substances. It is also used to improve breathing, raise blood pressure in hypotension and stimulate heart function.
Epinephrine is available as an injection solution containing 1 mg Adrenalin (epinephrine) as the hydrochloride in each 1-mL vial (1:1000). This drug is for intramuscular or subcutaneous injection use.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment.
Epinephrine may interact with medications such as:
- Anti-arrhythmic drugs such as amiodarone and quinidine
- Beta-blockers such as propranolol
- Ergot alkaloids such as ergotamine
- MAO inhibitors such as isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, rasagiline, selegiline, or tranylcypromine
- Phenothiazinessuch as chlorpromazine
- Thyroid hormones such as levothyroxine
- Tricyclic antidepressants such as amitriptyline or doxepin
- Diuretics such as furosemide, hydrochlorothiazide
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following: