Brand: Advair Diskus, Advair Hfa
Generic: Fluticasone Propionate + Salmeterol Xinafoate
Advair diskus is a medication used for the long-term maintenance treatment of asthma. It is to be used twice daily to prevent asthma attacks. It is also used to treat chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Advair diskus contains salmeterol which is a long-acting Beta2-adrenergic agonist and fluticasone propionate, a corticosteroid.
This medication is being supplied as a disposable purple device containing 60 blisters. It has an inhalation device which is packaged within a purple, plastic-coated, moisture-protective foil pouch.
Advair diskus is available in three different formulations containing 60 blisters each:
- Advair diskus 100/50 containing 100 mcg of fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol xinafoate
- Advair diskus 250/50 containing 250 mcg of fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol xinafoate and
- Advair diskus 500/50 containing 500 mcg of fluticasone propionate and 50 mcg salmeterol xinafoate
You should read the product information leaflet carefully before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your health care provider.
You should use this device while in a level, flat position.
- Start by inhaling this drug by mouth as instructed by your doctor. The usual dose is twice daily, in the morning and in the evening, 12 hours apart.
- Avoid exhaling into the device.
- Close the device after each use.
- After using, gargle and rinse your mouth with water. Do not swallow the water used for rinsing your mouth.
Avoid taking the inhaler apart. Do not wash the mouthpiece or any part of the device.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Advair diskus may interact with some drugs such as the following:
- Certain beta blockers such as propranolol
- Azole antifungals such as ketoconazole
- Macrolide antibiotics such as clarithromycin
- HIV protease inhibitors such as ritonavir
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before using this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any of the following conditions:
- Allergy to fluticasone or salmeterol
- Current/past infections such as tuberculosis or herpes)
- High blood pressure
- Bone loss (osteoporosis)
- Heart disease such as chest pain, heart attack or irregular heartbeat
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Eye problems such as cataracts and glaucoma
- Liver disease
- Pregnancy or lactation