Generic: Methyldopa + Hydrochlorothiazide
Aldoril is an oral drug for hypertension. This product is composed of two anti-hypertensive drugs: Methyldopa and Hydrochlorothiazide.
Aldoril is available in four formulations:
- Aldoril 15, which is composed of 250 mg of methyldopa and 15 mg of hydrochlorothiazide,
- Aldoril 25, which is composed of250 mg of methyldopa and 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide,
- Aldoril D50, which is composed of 500 mg of methyldopa and 30 mg of hydrochlorothiazide, and
- Aldoril D50, which contains 500 mg of methyldopa and 50 mg of hydrochlorothiazide.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be taken by mouth as instructed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the drug because it may diminish its effects. This medication should be taken with a full glass of water unless your doctor tells you otherwise. You should swallow the drug whole.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment. Take this drug regularly to experience the most benefits. You should also take this drug at the same time each day.
The usual dose for Aldoril is 1 to 3 times daily. You should take this medication within 4 hours of your bedtime to avoid urinary frequency while you sleep.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Aldaril may interact with medications such as:
- Iron products (such as ferrous sulfate, ferrous gluconate)
- MAO inhibitors (isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine)
- Antihistamines such as cetirizine and diphenhydramine
- Drugs for sleep or anxiety such as alprazolam, diazepam, and zolpidem
- Muscle relaxants
- Narcotic pain relievers such as codeine
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following: