Alocril is used to treating itching of the eyes that occur with allergies. Alocril works by acting on specific inflammatory cells to prevent them from releasing substances that cause allergic symptoms.
This medication is only available with your doctor’s prescription.
This medication is available in the following forms:
To use Alocril properly, you must follow all instructions given by your doctor.
Different patients will be given a different dose of this medication based on the strength of the medication. The number of doses you take each day, the time between doses and the length of time you take this medication depends on the reason you are taking this medication.
The following information only includes the average dose of this medication. If your dose is different, do not change it without first speaking to your doctor.
- Wash your hands.
- Tilt your head back and press your lower finger gently just beneath the lower eyelid.
- Pull the lower eyelid away from the eye to make a space. Drop the medication into this space.
- Let go of the eyelid and close your eyes. Do not blink.
- Keep the eyes closed and apply pressure to the inner corner of the eye for 1-2 minutes to allow your eye to absorb the medication.
- Do not touch the applicator tip to any surface. Keep the container tightly closed. This will help prevent infection of the eye.
If you miss a dose of this medication, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and resume your normal dosing schedule. Do not double dose.
Store this medication in a closed container at room temperature. Keep it away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Do not freeze.
Keep out of the reach of children. Do not keep expired medication or medication you no longer need. Ask your doctor how to dispose of any medication you do not use.
In using Alocril, you must be careful and take some precautions as advised by your doctor.
Avoid wearing contact lenses while your eyes are itching from allergies.
As with many medications, there are several potential side effects associated with Alocril. Some side effects that may occur do not normally need medical attention. These may leave as your body becomes accustomed to treatment.
Ask your doctor about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Ask your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.