Calamine is used to relieve the itching, pain, and discomfort of minor skin irritations, such as those caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. This medicine also dries oozing and weeping caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac.
Calamine is available without prescription. This product is available in the following dosage forms:
In deciding to use a medicine, the risks of taking the medicine must be weighed against the good it will do. This is a decision you and your doctor will make. For this medicine, the following should be considered:
1. Allergies: Tell your doctor if you have ever had any unusual or allergic reaction to this medicine or any other medicines. Also tell your health care professional if you have any other types of allergies, such as to foods, dyes, preservatives, or animals. For non-prescription products, read the label or package ingredients carefully.
2. Pediatric Population: Although there is no specific information comparing use of calamine in children with use in other age groups, this medicine is not expected to cause different side effects or problems in children than it does in adults.
3. Geriatric Population: Many medicines have not been studied specifically in older people. Therefore, it may not be known whether they work exactly the same way they do in younger adults. Although there is no specific information comparing use of calamine in the elderly with use in other age groups, this medicine is not expected to cause different side effects or problems in older people than it does in younger adults.
4. Drug Interactions: Although certain medicines should not be used together at all, in other cases two different medicines may be used together even if an interaction might occur. In these cases, your doctor may want to change the dose, or other precautions may be necessary.
Tell your healthcare professional if you are taking any other prescription or nonprescription (over-the-counter [OTC]) medicine.
5. Other Interactions: Certain medicines should not be used at or around the time of eating food or eating certain types of food since interactions may occur. Using alcohol or tobacco with certain medicines may also cause interactions to occur. Discuss with your healthcare professional the use of your medicine with food, alcohol, or tobacco.
3 Proper Usage
Calamine is for external use only. Do not swallow it and do not use it on the eyes or mucous membranes such as the inside of the mouth, nose, genital (sex organs), or anal areas.
To use calamine lotion:
Shake the lotion well before using.
Moisten a pledget of cotton with the lotion.
Use the moistened pledget to apply the lotion to the affected skin area(s).
Allow the medicine to dry on the skin.
To use calamine ointment:
Apply enough medicine to cover affected skin area(s) and rub in gently.
The dose of this medicine will be different for different patients. Follow your doctor's orders or the directions on the label.
The following information includes only the average doses of this medicine. If your dose is different, do not change it unless your doctor tells you to do so.
The amount of medicine that you take depends on the strength of the medicine. Also, the number of doses you take each day, the time allowed between doses, and the length of time you take the medicine depend on the medical problem for which you are using the medicine.
For minor skin irritations:
For topical dosage forms (lotion, ointment):
Adults and children—Apply to the affected area(s) of skin as often as needed.
Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. Keep from freezing. Keep out of the reach of children.
Do not keep outdated medicine or medicine no longer needed.
4 Precautions to Take
If your condition gets worse or if it does not improve within 7 days, or if rash or irritation develops, stop using calamine and check with your doctor.
FindATopDoc is a trusted resource for patients to find the top doctors in their area. Be visible and accessible with your up to date contact
information, certified patients reviews and online appointment booking functionality.