Brand: D.H.E. 45, Migranal
Generic: Dihydroergotamine Mesylate Injection
D.H.E. 45, Migranal.
D.H.E. 45 is an injectable medication used in treating migraine headaches with or without aura. This drug is also used to treat cluster headaches.
This drug is available as an injection solution containing dihydroergotamine mesylate 1 milligram in 1 milliliter.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be given by a health care professional. Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment.
This does not apply.
D.H.E. 45 may interact with medications such as:
- Beta blockers such as propranolol
- Decongestants such as pseudoephedrine
- Drugs affecting liver enzymes that remove ergotamine from your body such as fluconazole, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, clotrimazole, nefazodone and zileuton
- Nicotine products
- Nitrates, such as isosorbide or nitroglycerin
- Other ergot alkaloids such as methysergide
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- Allergy to Dihydroergotamine mesylate or to other ergot alkaloids such as ergotamine
- Blood circulation problems such as peripheral vascular disease (arteriosclerosis, thrombophlebitis, Raynaud's disease)
- Uncontrolled high blood pressure
- Heart or blood vessel disease such as coronary artery disease, stroke, angina and heart attack
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Severe blood infection or sepsis
- Recent blood vessel surgery
- Family history of heart disease
- High cholesterol levels
- Stomach or intestinal problems such as ischemic bowel syndrome
- Smoking or tobacco use
- Permanent ending of menstrual periods due to age, surgery or hormonal changes (post-menopausal)
- Pregnancy or lactation