Generic: Estradiol Valerate Injection
Delestrogen is an injectable drug used in the treatment of moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms associated with menopause. It is also used to treat vulvar or vaginal atrophy, low levels of estrogen and androgen (male hormone) dependent prostate cancer.
This drug is available as an injection containing 10 milligram in 1 milliliter, 20 milligram in 1 milliliter or 40 milligram in 1 milliliter of estradiol valerate.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment. This is usually injected intramuscularly by a health care professional.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Delestrogen may interact with medications such as:
- Aromatase inhibitors such as anastrozole, exemestane and letrozole
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- Allergy to estradiol valerate
- Vaginal bleeding of unknown cause
- Certain cancers such as breast cancer, cancer of the uterus or ovaries
- Blood clots
- Heart disease such as heart attack
- Liver disease
- Kidney disease
- Family medical history especially breast lumps, cancer, blood clots and angioedema
- Blood clotting disorders such as protein C or protein S deficiency
- High blood pressure
- High blood cholesterol or triglyceride levels
- Underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism
- Mineral imbalance such as low or high level of calcium in the blood
- A certain hormone problem such as hypoparathyroidism
- Uterus problems such as fibroids or endometriosis
- Gallbladder disease
- Migraine headaches
- A certain blood disorder or porphyria
- Mental or mood disorders such as dementia and depression
- Pregnancy or lactation