Brand: Meclomen, Meclodium
Meclomen is a drug used in the relief of mild to moderate pain, such as that found in primary dysmenorrhea, rheumatoid arthritis, and osteoarthritis. This drug is available as a capsule containing 50 mg or 100 mg of meclofenamate sodium.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be taken by mouth as instructed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the drug because it may diminish its effects. This medication should be taken with a full glass of water unless your doctor tells you otherwise. You should swallow the drug whole.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment. Take this drug regularly to experience the most benefits. You should also take this drug at the same time each day.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Meclomen may interact with medications such as:
- ACE inhibitors such as:
- or Lisinopril
- Angiotensin II receptor blockers such as:
- or Valsartan
- Corticosteroids such as:
- Anti-platelet drugs such as:
- Blood thinners such as:
- or Warfarin
- Pain relievers or fever reducers (aspirin, NSAIDs)
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- Allergy to meclofenamate or to aspirin or other NSAIDs such as ibuprofen, naproxen or celecoxib
- Aspirin-sensitive asthma
- Recent heart bypass surgery (CABG)
- Active bleeding or sores in stomach or intestines
- Bleeding or clotting problems
- Blood disorders such as anemia
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Liver disease
- Nasal polyps
- Tobacco use
- History of gastrointestinal problems
- Pregnancy or lactation