Brand: Medroxyprogesterone Acetate
Generic: Medroxyprogesterone Acetate
Medroxyprogesterone Acetate is a drug used in the treatment of secondary amenorrhea and abnormal uterine bleeding due to hormonal imbalance upon doctor’s recommendation. This drug is available as a tablet containing 2.5 mg, 5 mg or 10 mg of medroxyprogesterone acetate.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be taken by mouth as instructed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the drug because it may diminish its effects. This medication should be taken with a full glass of water unless your doctor tells you otherwise. You should swallow the drug whole.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment. Take this drug regularly to experience the most benefits. You should also take this drug at the same time each day.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Medroxyprogesterone Acetate may interact with medications such as:
- St. John's wort
- Azole antifungals including itraconazole
- Certain anti-seizure medicines including carbamazepine/phenobarbital/phenytoin)
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- Allergy to medroxyprogesterone
- History of blood clots
- History of bleeding in the brain
- Liver disease
- Cancer of the breast or other female organs
- Vaginal bleeding of unknown cause
- Missed abortion
- Recent stroke or heart attack (within 1 year)
- Family medical history (especially breast lumps and cancer)
- Kidney disease
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- Migraine headaches
- High blood levels of cholesterol
- Pregnancy or lactation