Brand: Orthovisc, Synvisc
Orthovisc is a pain reliever or analgesic drug, used to treat pain in the knees related to osteoarthritis or joint swelling.
This medication has similar component as the synovial fluid, a substance that lubricates the knee joint. This allows the knee to move with ease and smoothly, which eventually decrease joint pain.
Read your medication guide and follow your doctor’s prescription at all times.
- Inject Orthovisc into the affected joint, once a week per doctor’s prescription. This must be given only by health care professionals in a clinic or hospital setting.
- The dosage depends on your medical condition or treatment response.
- Do not reuse or recycle disposable needles, IV tubing and other medical supplies used in administering this medication.
- Discard needles safely in a puncture- proof container.
- Avoid engaging in activities that may cause strain into the knees for 48 hours (i.e. weight lifting, jogging, and prolonged standing).
- Continue using Orthovisc on a regular schedule. Do not stop using this medication abruptly without consulting your doctor.
Inform your doctor immediately if your condition aggravates or does not improve.
Have your health care provider inject your missed dose as soon as possible. Otherwise, contact your doctor immediately.
Some drugs may either lessen the beneficial effects or worsen the side effects of Orthovisc. Likewise, Orthovisc may make some drugs less efficient or intensify their side effects.
Make sure to inform your doctor about all other drugs you are currently taking or using (prescribed and non-prescribed medications including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products) to check for possible drug interaction with Orthovisc.
Never alter the doses of other medications while on Orthovisc neither stop nor start any medicine without the doctor’s recommendation.
There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking Orthovisc, tell your health care provider if you have/are:
- Any allergies to any substance, food (i.e. egg products) or medication, particularly to hyaluronan (Orthovisc)
- Medical history or a present condition such as:
- Knee joint infection
- Skin infection
- Problem around the injection site
- Poor circulation in the legs
- Pregnant, planning to get pregnant or currently breastfeeding a baby (It is not known if Orthovisc can harm the unborn child or if it can pass through breast milk that may harm the nursing child. The risks and benefits of using this medication during pregnancy must be discussed well with your doctor.)