Generic: Clemastine Fumarate
Tavist is a drug which is used to relieve symptoms of allergic rhinitis such as sneezing, rhinorrhea, pruritus and tearing/ lacrimation.
This drug is available as syrup containing clemastine fumarate 0.5 milligrams in 5 milliliters and as a tablet containing clemastine fumarate 2.68 milligrams.
You should read the product information leaflet before using this medication. If you have any questions, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
This medication should be taken by mouth as instructed by your doctor. Do not crush or chew the drug because it may diminish its effects. This medication should be taken with a full glass of water unless your doctor tells you otherwise. You should swallow the drug whole.
Your dosage is based on your medical condition and the way you will respond to treatment. Take this drug regularly to experience the most benefits. You should also take this drug at the same time each day.
If you miss a dose, use it as soon as you remember. Continue to use it as prescribed by your doctor or as stated on the package label.
Tavist may interact with medications such as:
- Antihistamines applied to the skin (such as diphenhydramine cream, ointment, spray)
- Antispasmodics (e.g., atropine, belladonna alkaloids)
- Anticholinergics (e.g., benztropine, trihexyphenidyl)
- MAO inhibitors (isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue, moclobemide, phenelzine, procarbazine, rasagiline, selegiline, tranylcypromine)
- Certain antihistamines (e.g., diphenhydramine)
- Anti-seizure drugs (e.g., carbamazepine)
- Medicine for sleep or anxiety (e.g., alprazolam, diazepam, zolpidem)
- Muscle relaxants
- Narcotic pain relievers (e.g., codeine)
- Psychiatric medicines (e.g., chlorpromazine, risperidone, amitriptyline, trazodone)
Side Effects: There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking this medication, tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have the following:
- Allergy to clemastine
- Breathing problems (e.g., asthma, emphysema)
- A certain eye problem (glaucoma)
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Liver disease
- Stomach problems (e.g., ulcers, blockage)
- Overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism)
- Urination problems (e.g., trouble urinating due to enlarged prostate, urinary retention)