Generic: Benzoyl Peroxide/Hydrocortisone
Vanoxide-HC is a drug that contains benzoyl peroxide and hydrocortisone that is used to treat oily skin and acne. Benzoyl peroxide helps by reducing the amount of acne caused by bacteria. It also helps a pimple to heal by making the skin dry and peel. Hydrocortisone reduces the skin to swell that usually occurs with acne.
Read your medication guide and follow your doctor’s prescription at all times.
- Wash hands before and after you apply this topical medication. Likewise, wash the affected site with water and not- irritating soap or with a mild cleanser, rinse properly and pat it dry.
- Apply a small amount of Vanoxide- HC topically or on your face/ affected skin with acne, 1- 3 times a day per doctor’s prescription. This drug is for external use only; so, do not ingest it.
- The dosage depends on your age, weight, medical condition and your response to treatment. Do not adjust your dose without your doctor’s recommendation.
- Do not let this topical medication from getting in contact with your eyes, mouth, ears or nose. Otherwise, rinse these sites with water immediately.
- Avoid covering the treated site, particularly with water- resistant or plastic bandages to prevent serious side effects related to increased absorption of this medication through the skin.
- Do not apply Vanoxide-HC in any other skin problems aside from what it is indicated for or on large skin areas, skin cuts, deeply punctured wounds, blistered, severe burn, abrasion and severely irritated skin.
- Benzoyl peroxide can bleach the color of your hair, clothing or fabrics and furniture. Be careful in handling this medication and do not allow it to get in contact with your hair, clothing or fabrics and furniture.
- Avoid over exposure to sunlight and other artificial sources of ultraviolet rays (i.e. tanning booth) because Vanoxide- HC can make you hypersensitive to sunlight. As much as possible, wear protective clothes (i.e. long sleeves) or apply sunscreen when you are outdoors.
- Continue using Vanoxide-HC on a regular schedule (at the same time of the day). Do not stop using this medication abruptly without consulting your doctor.
- It takes 3 weeks of use before your acne will manifest improvement and it will take up to 8-12 weeks to get the complete benefit of this drug.
Inform your doctor immediately if your condition aggravates or does not improve after 2 weeks of treatment.
Apply your missed dose as soon as possible. However, make sure that the time interval between the missed and the next dose is not too close.
Otherwise, stick with the regular schedule and leave out the missed dose. Do not double dose to cover up a missed dose. Record your missed dose and inform your doctor immediately if you missed several doses.
Apply your missed dose as soon as possible. However, make sure that the time interval between the missed and the next dose is not too close. Otherwise, stick with the regular schedule and leave out the missed dose. Do not double dose to cover up a missed dose. Record your missed dose and inform your doctor immediately if you missed several doses.
Side Effects: There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking Vanoxide-HC, tell your health care provider if you have/are:
- Any allergies to any substance, food or medication , particularly to Benzoyl Peroxide, Hydrocortisone and other corticosteroids such as prednisone
- Medical history or a present condition such as:
- Pregnant, planning to get pregnant or currently breastfeeding a child (Vanoxide- HC can harm the unborn child but it is not recognized if it can pass through the breast milk that may harm the breastfed child. The risks and benefits of using this medication during pregnancy should be discussed thoroughly with your doctor.)