Generic: Benzocaine, Pyrilamine and Zinc Oxide
Z-Xtra is an antihistamine, anesthetic/pain reliever, and skin protectant drug combination. It is used to temporarily treat signs and symptoms of skin allergies and other forms of irritation like insect bites and skin swelling.
It also decreases emission of discharge caused by poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. Z-Xtra reduces swelling, itching and pain on the affected skin.
Read your medication guide and follow your doctor’s prescription at all times.
- Shake the container of Z-Xtra properly before every use.
- Wash the affected area with warm water and mild soap. Rinse well and dry it thoroughly.
- Apply Z-Xtra topically/over the affected skin three or four times a day for 7 days per doctor’s prescription. Do not ingest Z-Xtra as this is for external use only.
- Never get this drug in contact with the eyes, nose, mouth, and vagina. Flush immediately with tap water once it gets into the aforementioned sites.
- The dosage depends on your medical condition or treatment response. Do not adjust your dose without your doctor’s recommendation.
- Do not use Z-Xtra to children below 12 years old without doctor’s approval.
- Continue using Z-Xtra on a regular schedule (same time of the day). Do not stop using this medication abruptly without consulting your doctor.
Inform your doctor immediately if your condition aggravates or does not improve.
Apply your missed dose as soon as possible. However, make sure that the time interval between the missed and the next dose is not too close.
Otherwise, stick with the regular schedule and leave out the missed dose. Do not double dose to cover up a missed dose. Record your missed dose and inform your doctor immediately if you missed several doses.
Some drugs may either lessen the beneficial effects or worsen the side effects of Z-Xtra. Likewise, Z-Xtra may make some drugs less efficient or intensify their side effects.
Make sure to inform your doctor about all other drugs you are currently taking or using (prescribed and non-prescribed medications including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products) to check for possible drug interaction with Z-Xtra.
Never alter the doses of other medications while on Z- Xtra neither stop nor start any medicine without the doctor’s recommendation.
Side Effects: There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before using Z-Xtra, tell your health care provider if you have/are:
- Any allergies to any substance, food or medication, particularly to Z-Xtra, benzocaine, pyrilamine, zinc oxide or other anesthetic agent used for skin irritation (i.e. lidocaine) and
- Pregnant, planning to be pregnant or currently breastfeeding a child ( It is unknown if Z- Xtra can pass through the breast milk that may harm the nursing child). The risk and benefits of using this medication during pregnancy should be discussed thoroughly with your doctor.