Brand: Zemaira, Aralast, Prolastin
Generic: Alpha 1-Proteinase Inhibitor
Zemaira is an alpha 1- proteinase inhibitor supplement used to treat emphysema that is caused by a deficiency of alpha 1- proteinase inhibitor, a protein that suppresses the activity of elactase when no longer needed.
Elastase is a chemical produced by the body and is supposed to destroy bacteria that gets into the lungs but may attack the lung cells in the absence of alpha 1 proteinase inhibitor.
Read your medication guide and follow your doctor’s prescription at all times.
- Zemaira is administered by injecting it into the blood vessel (vein), once a week or per doctor’s prescription. This must be given by medical professionals in a health care facility (i.e. clinic, hospital).
- The dosage depends on your medical condition or treatment response. Do not adjust your dose without your doctor’s recommendation.
- Do not use if discoloration of the content in the vial is noted. Zemaira usually appears yellow- green or clear with few floating particles after mixing it with diluent.
- Use the mixed medicine within 3 hours. Swirl (never shake) the container to mix the solution properly.
- If the medication has been refrigerated based on product instruction, let it set to room temperature before mixing and administering it.
- Do not reuse needles and syringes. Dispose the needle safely on punctured proof-container.
- Continue using this medication on a regular schedule (same day each week). Do not stop using this medication abruptly without consulting your doctor.
Inform your doctor immediately if your condition aggravates or does not improve.
Let your health care provider administer your missed dose as soon as possible. Otherwise, contact your doctor immediately.
Zemaira may interact with other medications and products, which may lessen the beneficial effects or worsen the side effects of this alpha 1- proteinase inhibitor supplement.
Make sure to inform your doctor about all other drugs you are currently taking or using (prescribed and non-prescribed medications including vitamins, minerals, and herbal products) to check for possible drug interaction with Zemaira.
Never alter the doses of other medications while on Zemaira neither stop nor start any medicine without the doctor’s recommendation.
Side Effects: There are no side effects known aside from a possible allergic reaction in people who have previous or unknown hypersensitivity to the drug.
Watch out for signs of allergic reactions such as:
Before taking Zemaira, tell your health care provider if you have/are:
- Any allergies to any substance, food or medication, particularly to alpha 1-proteinase inhibitor (Zemaira)
- Medical history or a present condition such as:
- Pregnant, planning to get pregnant or currently breastfeeding a child (Zemaira can harm the unborn child but it is not known if this medication passes into breast milk that may harm the nursing child. The risks and benefits of using this medication during pregnancy should be discussed thoroughly with your doctor.)