If you are a mother of a child with autism, you know how unique your experience is. And you know that autism does not define your child or who they aspire to be. They define themselves.
Below are 15 quotes that only autism moms will understand.
1. "Connection is what moves this world forward. Connection is a profound human experience." - Jenny Palmiotto, The Art of Autism
2. "Autism is diversity." Each child with autism experiences differences in communication, social interaction, repetitive behaviors, sensory processing, information processing, learning style, and intellectual ability.
3. "When a family focuses on ability instead of disability, all things are possible." - Amanda Rae Ross
4. "People with autism all have a tremendous gift. It's a matter of finding that gift and nurturing it." - Edie Brannigan
5. "You have the heart to feel what the world will take forever to see." You are the only one who can understand the love and special bond between you and your child.
6. "Autism is as much a part of humanity as is the capacity to dream." - Kathleen Seidel
7. "Within every living child exists the most precious bud of self-identity." - Dr. Kiyo Kitahara
8. "You don't have a big enough imagination for what your child can become." - Johnny Seitz
9. "Showing kindness towards those who are different and embracing our imperfections as proof of our own humanness is the remedy for fear." - Emma Zurcher-Long
10. "Love the child in front of you. Encourage his strengths, celebrate his quirks, and improve his weaknesses." - Claire Scovell LaZebnik
11. "Miracles do happen. Every single day." Your miracles with your child with autism will shine through the challenges you face together.
12. "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible." - Frank Zappa
13. "Autism is about having a pure heart." - Trisha Van Berkel
14. "What makes a child gifted and talented may not always be good grades in school, but a different way of looking at the world." - Chuck Grassley
15. "By holding the highest vision for your child when they cannot see it for themselves, you are lifting them up, elevating them, and helping them to soar." - Megan Koufos
Few things compare to raising a child with autism. Through the journey, there is much to be learned about your children, about your family, and of course, about yourself.
Each day is a new experience and a new learning opportunity. You will have ups and downs, challenges and triumphs — but at the end of the day, remember that you are your child's inspiration. Lead by example, in your behavior, attitude, thoughts, and emotions. Your child is an individual, but in addition to being their role model, work with them as a team to really make them shine.
"Our experiences are all unique. Regardless, I do believe that it is important to find the beautiful. Recognize that there is bad, there is ugly, there is disrespect, there is ignorance and there are meltdowns. Those things are inevitable. But there is also good." - Erin McKinney