Appendicitis During Pregnancy: Signs and Symptoms
Appendicitis is a condition which occurs in about 1 in 1000 pregnancies. While it is most common during first 2 trimesters, it can occur in the last trimester too. It’s often hard for the pregnant woman to identify the signs and symptoms of appendicitis because she is already going through numerous physical changes and abdominal discomforts that are very common in pregnancy too. Moreover, other symptoms of pregnancy such as nausea and vomiting are quite similar to appendicitis, which further complicates the situation.
Therefore it’s important for pregnant women to be aware of this condition and be able to correctly identify the symptoms of appendicitis.
1) Common symptoms of appendicitis:
- Abdominal pain more prominent near belly button or lower right side of the abdomen
- Lack of appetite
2) The appendicitis pain is dull, near the belly button. After some time, it shifts to the right side of your abdomen. The pain also becomes severe overtime and is more noticeable when you walk, cough or sneeze. Some pregnant women feel pain as they standing upright because of an overly stretched round ligament. However, the pain arising as a result of pregnancy goes away on its own within a few moments. However, if it doesn't go away, appendicitis may be the reason.
3) If the pregnant woman is in her third trimester, she may experience pain higher up in the body. Women who are over 28 weeks pregnant may experience pain just below the lowest rib on their right side. This happens because with the growth of child and womb, your appendix shifts up your abdomen to just below the right side of your ribcage.
4) If your abdominal pain is followed by nausea and vomiting, it can point towards appendicitis.
5) If you suddenly get a mild fever, it can be a warning sign. However, the combination of pain, fever, and vomiting is something you should be extremely wary of. If you experience all these symptoms at once, consult your doctor immediately.
6) Paleness and sweating can be caused by the nausea and fever which are the common symptoms of appendicitis. You may also experience loss of appetite.
Hence if you are pregnant and experiencing any of the above-mentioned symptoms, consult your doctor immediately.