Chiropractor Questions Back Pain

Back injury at a fall in workplace. What should I do now?

I fell over spilled coffee at work. At first, I didn't say anything because I felt okay for the rest of the day, but now my back is just killing me. What should I do now? Should I be putting heat on it every so often or something?

11 Answers

You should report the injury to your work place. You can use ice to help with the pain. I would recommend getting checked by a good chiropractor as well. Since it was a work related injury the, workers compensation should help cover the expense of getting you better.

We are always ready to help
When you have an acute condition that occurs after trauma (the fall), heat is not indicated. Heat will most likely increase inflammation and swelling. Ice would be more appropriate to help reduce swelling and some inflammation. (Inflammation must occur for proper healing, so don't overdo it with ice, no more than 10 minutes at a time with at least 1/2 hour between applications.) Of course, the best thing to do is to see your chiropractor or other healthcare professional for an exam to determine the extent of injury and best course of action. If you cannot walk due to the level of pain or have ANY changes to bowel or bladder function, CALL 911.
First report the injury to your supervisor and start a WC claim. Then go see a Chiropractor for an exam and X-rays. Do not use heat. Use ice for the first 72 hours, then alternate heat and ice.
I would seek out a Chiropractic office that deals with workers compensation claims for an examination of your back pain. Chiropractic is very effective at treating back pain. Even a small fall can misalign the pelvis and spine, causing pain. You may find temporary relief alternating ice and heat to the area of pain.
First you need to report the injury to your supervisor and file a workman’s compensation injury report. My recommendation would be to try ice pack therapy before heat. Then go see your chiropractor to be examined and properly treated.
Ice is first in all injures and see a chiropractor

I would recommend filing a report with your Human Resources department and evaluate what they advise. Icing first is supported by numerous research. Following up with a highly recommended chiropractor is also advised.


Dr. Duchon
If you are tender to the touch cold therapy like an ice pack for 10-15 minutes wrapped in a towel might work better than heat. If you have bruises, numbness or tingling in your names or pain with coughing, sneezing or using the bathroom I would seek professional care. Also, you should let your supervisor know as they might want you to be checked out by a doctor because of workman’s compensation insurance guidelines.
Report your injury to the company’s health department. Use ice on the injury site, 15 minutes per 40 minutes. Do this for a couple of days. Then if not better, seek help.
First, you should ice for the first 72 hours of acute trauma. Then you may want to inform HR if it happened at work. You should get checked out to make sure nothing was moved out of place. See your local chiropractor to be evaluated.
The first thing is to report it to your supervisor and the Human Resources Dept. This is not legal advice, but it may be covered under workman's comp. Next is stay away from the heating pad. It appears that the muscles in your back are inflamed and heat will make it worse. The first 48 to 72 hours use nothing but ice packs 3-4x a day for 15-20 minutes. Do not put the ice directly on the skin, use a towel. Therapeutic ice packs can cause burns if not used properly. Hot baths with Epsom salts is okay to relieve soreness. After the first 2-3 days, use a contrast therapy of ice 15 min., heat 15 min., ice 15 min. 3x a day. Also, during the entire time, avoid sitting for extended periods. Walk and do light stretches, but not to the point of sharp pain. If this does not seem to show signs of improvement after the first 2 days, see your chiropractor.