Naturopathic Physician Questions Honey

Is honey safe for kids?

I have been reading a lot of articles that say that honey is not good for kids and that it can lead to infections. Is it true?

6 Answers

Honey is completely safe and a good source of natural sugars (as opposed to artificial sweeteners) in children over 1 year of age. The infections you are most likely reading about occur when an infants gut bacteria are too immature and consuming honey then causes a botulinum toxicity.
It should not be given to children under 3 years of age.
After the age of 1 year, local, raw honey is best. All things with prudence and thanksgiving.
Honey is unsafe for children, giving honey to children can increase the chances of infant botulism. Honey can be contaminated with spore forming bacteria in which small children do not have the appropriate intestinal flora to fight against it. It is advised not to give honey to children less than 1 year of age, while infant botulism can occur over the age of 1, it is rare. I advise you to use caution or speak with a your pediatrician in regards to what age you can start giving your child honey.
Honey is safe for children. Most honey that is available in stores has been pasteurized.
Infant Botulism is often associated with the consumption of honey. Parents are advised to not feed honey to infants until their intestinal flora is well developed to inhibit the germination of C. Botulinum endospores, which is usually about 1 year. Infants especially under 6 months are susceptible. Do not feed infants honey.