Thank you for your question. Natural medicine and/or acupuncture can be very helpful for headaches and migraines. This is a case that I would not give general recommendations. Your mother would need a proper work up to help determine the cause of the headaches in order to establish an appropriate treatment plan. Acupuncture can be very successful at stopping headaches in the moment. I suggest finding a naturopathic physician, acupuncturist, or integrative MD/APRN in your area so she can be properly worked up and have the best chance at a successful treatment plan. I assume because she is on medication she has seen her primary care physician. Her PCP should be made aware that her headache is not abating, so please be absolutely sure to follow up with them as soon as possible if you haven't already, even if you do schedule her with an acupuncturist or naturopathic physician.
interactions. Find a Naturopathic doctor near you to help with adjunct care such as acupuncture and herbal medicine along with a detailed history.
- Progesterone deficiency... using oral bio-identical hormones, taken before bed and sometimes again the morning.
- Estrogen dominance... this can be caused by low progesterone or elevated estrogens.
- Liver and gall bladder issues... these headaches often show up in the front part of the head, usually above the eyes.
- A chronic sinus infection, and this also presents above the eyes and sometimes below the eyes.
- Anemia, low red cell count, can be a cause, usually on the top of the head.
- The cervical vertebra, those in the neck... a vertebra can be out of place. Usually, a chiropractic adjustment is all that's required.
Of course, you have to rule out anything related to the brain with an MRI.