Orthopedist Questions Orthopedist

When should you see an orthopedist for foot pain?

I am a 39 year old male and I have foot pain. When should you see an orthopedist for foot pain?

6 Answers

See a podiatrist
It depends on the reason for the pain. I would start with your primary care physician.
If your pain doesn’t respond to over the counter anti inflammatory rest and ice you should call your podiatrist
A Podiatrist is trained very similarly to an orthopedist and a podiatrist does 3 years of residency in just foot and ankle.
You should see a Podiatrist who has at least 2 years of surgical residency training and is board certified in foot surgery and in reconstructive ankle and rearfoot surgery; you should never see an orthopedist for foot and ankle problems, as they do not receive enough training in the pathologies or biomechanics of the foot and ankle. But you should see someone if the pain is interfering in your lifestyle/quality of life/activity level.
Foot pain is not normal. The earlier you have the problem addressed, the better the outcome. I recommend you see a foot and ankle surgeon (podiatrist) or orthopedic surgeon trained in foot and ankle care for appropriate diagnosis and treatment options