Podiatrist (Foot and Ankle Specialist) Questions Blood Clots

I have a blue spot on my heel which looks like a blood clot. What could this be?

I have a strange blue spot on my right heel that has come up about 3 days ago. It looks more like a blood clot and feels sensitive when I touch it. What could this be?

6 Answers

It could be a bruise. Observe it for a few days more and if it does not disappear, you should consult with a podiatrist in your area.
Blood clots are serious and usually present with pain in the calf especially with squeezing. Was there a trauma to the heel? Does the pain radiate up the leg? It could also be a bone bruise. Is the area is warm and swollen especially behind the knee region? If yes, it’s best to get a Doppler ultrasound to rule out a clot, which could lead to a pulmonary embolism and/or brain damage. Could also be a bone bruise.
The blue spot on your right heel could be due to a bruise or a potential broken small blood vessel. Sometimes skin lesions can also be blue, but they don't usually come up that quickly. I recommend that you get this evaluated by a physician.

Jonathan M. Kletz, DPM
Only a biopsy can tell you for sure what it is. Could be malignant, so it needs to be evaluated.
You may be quite accurate with your diagnosis. Thrombosed varix of superficial venules can develop and present as painful lesions of bluish hew often times on the soles of the feet. These may develop from local trauma. These lesions are self-limiting but may take several weeks to resolve. Warm compresses to the area can improve local symptoms. Clearly, if
the lesion fails to improve as suggested or there is worsening I would encourage evaluation by a medical specialist to include a podiatrist or dermatologist.
It would be extremely rare and unlikely that you have a blood clot in your heel. The most common area to get a blood clot is in the calf. A painful, blue lesion on the heel could be a number of things. I would not be able to make a diagnosis without an exam. I would try a warm compress and take an aspirin and see if that helps. Thanks for your question.