Dermatologist Questions Dermatologist

Can a dermatologist help with skin cancer?

I am a 27-year-old female and I have a weird-looking mole. Can a dermatologist help with skin cancer?

7 Answers

Yes, a dermatologist can absolutely help with evaluating your mole. lf it looks at all abnormal, it can be removed and checked for any evidence of malignancy/cancer.
Yes, weird looking moles could be deadly melanomas. Dermatologists are the experts in diagnosing and treating melanomas. Go see a dermatologist ASAP. Your life could depend on it.
Dermatologists are medical doctors that are experts of the hair, skin, and nails. If you have an abnormal appearing mole, please schedule an appointment with a board certified dermatologist to have it evaluated.

Kaminska Dermatology Care Team
A dermatologist is a physician who does post graduate training for 3 years studying diseases of the skin, hair and nails. A dermatologist is therefore, the most qualified physician to examine skin moles and diagnose skin cancer.
Yes, of course. That is among the primary things dermatologists are trained to do - identify and treat skin cancer. Please see your board-certified dermatologist to have your mole evaluated.
Thank you.


Darshan Vaidya, MD, FAAD
Dermatologists are specialists in diseases and conditions that affect the skin, hair and nails, so a dermatologist is definitely the specialist that should be consulted to evaluate and treat moles, especially those that are peculiar looking or have changed in size, shape, color, etc.. You would be well advised to seek consultation as soon as possible to ensure that your mole is actually benign and not a melanoma or other kind of skin cancer. Best of luck.
Any "weird looking mole" should be evaluated by your dermatologist.

Steve Schleicher