- Seeds are tiny nutritional powerhouses. Some are high in calcium, including poppy, sesame, celery and chia seeds.
- Almonds are the nuts highest in calcium. An ounce of almonds, or about 22 nuts, delivers 8% of the RDI.
- Whey is exceptionally rich in calcium. A 1-oz scoop of whey protein powder isolate contains 20% of the RDI.
- Dried figs have more calcium than other dried fruits - 5% of the RDI in an ounce.
Calcium most definitely has an effect on teeth. Your teeth, or more specifically your enamel.
For example: Dietary Sources
The richest food sources of calcium include:
- Cheeses, such as Parmesan, Romano, gruyere, cheddar, American, mozzarella, and feta
- Low-fat dairy products, such as milk and yogurt
- Blackstrap molasses
Other good sources of calcium include:
- Brewer's yeast
- Bok choy
- Brazil nuts
- Dried figs
- Dark leafy greens (such as dandelion, turnip, collard, mustard, kale, and Swiss chard)
- Canned salmon
Foods that are fortified with calcium -- such as juices, soy milk, rice milk, tofu and cereals -- are also good sources of this mineral.
This is the source that I took this from, if you wish to read the entire article: http://www.lifescript.com/health/a-z/adam/alternative_medicine/supplement/c/calcium.aspx <http://www.lifescript.com/health/a-z/adam/alternative_medicine/supplement/c/calcium.aspx>
I hope this helps.
Dr. Jennifer Rankin
If your child is lactose intolerant, there are substitutions for dairy products as well as other products like orange juice which contain calcium as well as over the counter calcium supplements. Vitamin D is another way to increase calcium absorption and is in the form of droplets for infants. Make sure you talk to your nutritionist and pediatrician about daily requirements and other options. It is usually in the 1200 mg range for calcium daily but it depends on age. Also, understand with supplementation, there is such a thing as too much and excess calcium can be harmful medically. As your child gets older, daily vitamins can rectify your problem.
Hope this helps.