Family Practitioner Questions Anxiety Attack

Can my family doctor treat anxiety?

My younger brother has been experiencing anxiety attacks in these past couple of weeks. We aren't sure if we should go to our family doctor for his issue, or if we should take him to counseling. What do you believe? He's 14 years old, is it somewhat normal to have anxiety attacks at this age?

8 Answers

Anxiety is very common among all ages in modern society. The first step should be your family doctor. He/She can rule out any medical conditions that may be causing the anxiety or making it worse. Sometimes medications may also be helpful. Then the doctor and your family can work together to decide if counseling would be helpful.
Hello, you should start by taking your brother to your family doctor to rule out any biological factors that may be causing his anxiety attacks. With that said, it does not hurt to take him to counseling either. If you are able to do both that would be best. But, start with the family doctor to rule out any medical reasons for the anxiety attacks.
You can do with your primary about talking with a therapist and see if there is one they can recommend. They know his personality which can help finding someone he will hopefully connect with. Due to his age it may take several times speaking with someone.
If you took him to a doctor first they would most likely recommend and refer him out for counseling anyway. Counseling is the best approach to treat this multifaceted issue. Its never good to say what "normal" is, because there's no such thing. But getting some help for it will definitely help him feel better if he is comfortable with his therapist.
Anxiety is common but shouldn't interfere with functioning. Counseling can be highly effective in treating anxiety.
Is there a family history of anxiety, or is it situational? Medication and counseling may be needed if it is interfering with school.
Hi there. Anxiety is normal for teens. Going through puberty can be challenging for most teens. Most likely a family doctor has the ability to medicate for anxiety. Although that may be an immediate fix, a therapist can help your brother learn the skills to manage anxiety, develop strength to get through the difficult and challenging times. There's a wonderful quote "You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it." An anxious mind must learn the skills to calm and bring peace, that takes knowledge, and that is empowering!
Any doctor can give medication to control anxiety, but complete treatment with gradually discontinued medication needs an expert one.