Prosthodontist Questions Cracked Tooth

The crown over my molar cracked. What should I do?

The crown over my molar has recently cracked and I don't know what I should do. I'm in so much pain. Is there anything that I can do ease it?

5 Answers

Yes see your dentist as soon as possible
The first thing to do is seek out a dentist for an emergency assessment, as the pain you describe could be coming from a few different sources. The crack may be limited to your crown, or it may extend deeper into the tooth. Depending on the doctor's exam findings, they will work with you to determine the quickest way to get you out of pain, and then (once you're comfortable) restore your teeth to working function.

Usually, a damaged crown needs to be replaced. Crown repairs are not predictable and are fraught with problems.


Joseph B. Breitman, D.M.D., M.S., F.A.C.P.
For a cracked crown, you must see your dentist ASAP, especially if you do have pain and discomfort. Avoid biting or drinking hot and cold things. Over-the-counter analgesic can help, or if the tooth did not have a root canal on it, place wax around the periphery of the crown.
See a dentist