Plastic Surgeon Questions Burns

My daughter who is 2 years old burnt her hand. What should I do?

My daughter is 2 years old and accidentally burnt her hand by dropping hot coffee. Its a deep burn and the doctor suggested grafting to cure the burnt part. I am just wondering is it okay to let the skin treat on its own since she is a small baby?

9 Answers

I am sorry to hear that. But if your doctor recommended, skin graft would be a better option. The burn may eventually heal without any surgery. However, the scar may cause severe contractures and interfere her hand function.

It depends on the size and depth of the burn.
I suggest ensuring that a board certified plastic surgeon evaluate your daughters burn. Although she is young, it is possible that you will want to consider treatment on the burn now to ensure the best results. It is definitely a situation that should be evaluated in person to see the hand for a best answer for you. You may locate a board certified plastic surgeon with the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
In the evaluation and care of your young daughter’s hand burn, make sure you consult a plastic surgeon/hand surgeon who is experienced in treating young children’s hand burns. This burn has serious functional implications as well as cosmetic ones. If the burn goes deep into the layers of her skin, she will most probably need a surgical “debridement”/cleaning and grafting with her own skin. She will also need treatment by an occupational (hand) therapist and treatment with a compression glove after the skin has healed.
It depends on the depth of the wound. If it blanches (turns from red to the normal skin tone, then back to red) that’s a great sign. If the area is insensate (she cannot feel it, and it stays white) non-blanching, then it would need to be replaced (i.e., skin graft). Any board-certified plastic surgeon could make that call and we would be happy to see y’all. All that being said, children heal much more quickly than adult and without knowing the degree or dimensions of the wound, it’s impossible to make that call. Based on you’re geographic location/social considerations, we can certainly point you in the right direction. I’m sorry this happened to her and it would be our pleasure to take care of her, or direct you to someone in your area with whom we would entrust our own childrens’ care.

Dr. Gerstle
Your best option is to follow your doctors advise. Burns come in three degrees, 1sr, 2nd and 3rd. All 3rd degree burns require skin grafting or bad scars will form that could limit the mobility and function of the hand. Some second degree burns can convert to third degree and cause the same scars. Your doctor is best able to determine the depth of the burn and what would be in the long term best interest for your child.
This is difficult to answer with out and examination. I would recommend you seek a second opinion, someone at a burn unit who specializes in the treatment of burns.

Best regards,
Dr Gartner
Use silvadene, a special burn cream. It prevents scarring and accelerate the healing process.
If the burn is deep and granulating, then a graft is a good answer.