Chiropractor Questions Shoulder pain

I am suffering from neck and shoulder pain since I was a child. What should I do?

I am a 27 year old woman and I am experiencing mild neck as well as shoulder pain ever since I was a child. When I stand or raise my hands for workout the pain the gets intensified. What can I do to correct this pain?

22 Answers

It seems that there may be a history of injury that could be the cause of your problem; perhaps a problem that began many years ago. As you raise your hands up you are increasing the disc pressure, pulling on the delicate nerve structures. If your neck bone is out of place or mispositioned, it would account for this pain. The neck nerves go directly to the shoulder as well. This problem can be corrected completely, as long as the the cause is identified.
Go see a chiropractor for examination and treatment.
Have a question aboutShoulder pain?Ask a doctor now
Chiropractic tends to be the most conservative approach to back and neck pain. I would find a chiropractor you are comfortable with and have them check everything out. More than likely they will need to take some X-rays to see how your spine is aligned. Even the American Medical Association recommends to its medical doctors to send their patients to chiropractors for back and neck pain first.
Have you tried yoga or a chiropractor. I would at least still see the chiropractor to make sure you don't have any spinal misalignments. Most spinal misalignments happen at a young age.
If it has been this long, have you ever had an X-ray or MRI of your neck and upper back? There can be several causes to consider. Were you in any bad falls or car accidents when you were younger? Films could determine if you had any pathological problems going on. There are congenital conditions that can also exist. The films would determine these also.
Chiropractic care may be an option for you. It would require taking a full history and X-rays to fully assess your situation. You may have what is called thoracic outlet syndrome. It has many causes, from a cervical rib to upper rib subluxations. There are other conditions that can also cause your symptoms, and only a full assessment would be able to determine your situation and a treatment plan.
There are many conditions that can cause the discomfort you are describing. The best thing to do is get a good orthopedic, neurological, and physical examination to determine the origin. Chiropractors are very well trained in providing this type of exam and can assist in treating you directly or refer you to the appropriate specialist.
Yes, high possibility there is a cervical issue in your neck. Get an examination from a chiropractor and an MRI.
Seek a chiropractic evaluation for spinal pinched nerves ASAP.
This is a very common complaint. I have personal experience with this exact issue. I experienced neck and shoulder pain throughout my childhood. Finally seeking chiropractic care when I was 25 opened a whole new world for me. My chiropractor performed X-rays and examined my spine. It turned out that my childhood injuries, falling off my bicycle, sports injuries, falls, and seemingly minor injuries caused a problem with the vertebrae in my neck, mid-back, and lower back. The bone became subluxated (misaligned) and began to irritate my nerves causing pain, stiffness, and spasms. After some weeks of care, I began to feel better without any medication. This was an astounding revelation: my body was healing itself just by removing the interference to nerve function. I was so amazed that I left my cabinet making business and spent the next 8 years learning about chiropractic. After 25 years in practice, I have helped many people with similar problems.
You should see a chiropractor. Chiropractors are trained to diagnose and correct issues of the spine that are present. When the bones of the neck are misaligned, it can cause interference of the nerves and the nervous system. The interference on the nerves caused by the bones in the neck can cause pain in the neck and shoulder. Improper motion also causes the muscles and tendons of the neck and shoulder to compensate to increase the stability of the joint. When misalignments are present, the muscles will also change in length due to their attachments to the bones. The misalignments can cause the muscle to become shorter or longer depending on their position and location of the misalignment.
See a Dr or chiropractor for physical and X-ray exam, then he will know how to continue your treatment.
A lot depends on what has been done. Start with a really good Doctor of Chiropractic.
There could be an extra rib putting pressure on the nerves and blood vessels in the base of the neck. A qualified upper cervical chiropractor can evaluate the signs, take the appropriate X-rays, and discover the elements that might be contributing to your problem. The upper cervical chiropractor specializes in very small misalignments of the neck bones that create pinched nerves and symptoms like what you are describing. If there are extra ribs, chiropractic or other types of manual therapy that only work on soft tissue could also help. 

Dr. Philip R. Schalow 
You should seek a chiropractor to figure out the cause of your problems.
You need to see a chiropractor or physical therapist and get evaulated.

Dr Dave
Come see me at my office in Redondo Beach. If do not live near my location, then I would recommend to either go to Yelp or Google and perform a research on your local Chiropractor with the best and most well rounded set of credentials. What should you look for when performing your research?

1) Education level
2) Professional background, experience and level of training
3) Look inthe more common social media platforms and research to see if the doctor has a professional facebook profile, linkedin profile and/or any of the other social media outlets.
-Sometimes, you'll have access to their Curriculum Vitae which essentially is a complete resume of their educational and employment background.
-This will give you a better understanding of the overall history of the doctor and give a you a piece of mind knowing that you are trusting your health and livelihood to a person who is qualified to provide you with the best service possible.
Go see a Chiropractor for an evaluation, she or he can determine if you are a Chiropractic patient and if so what treatment is right for you.
Sound to me you should have been seeing a chiropractor since you were a child, but it's not too late. We can help.
It sounds like you have a pinched nerve. I would recommend seeing a chiropractor to get an assessment, an X-ray, and a treatment. With consistent chiropractic care, the pain will diminish.
Do you live in the Rockford area?
You may have a subluxated vertebra, meaning a bone in you spine or another joint in your body may be out of it's proper position. This could be brought on by many things, a trauma, auto accident, sports related injury, falling off the monkey bars as a child, a tumble down the stairs. That bone out of position could be interfering with a nerve an this nerves normal route of travel is not fully open, causing the pain. Get yourself a check-up with a Chiropractor.