Allergist and Immunologist Questions Allergic Rhinitis

What could be the best medicine for allergic rhinitis?

I am 23 years old and I am suffering from allergic rhinitis for the last 1 year. Is there permanent cure for this condition? What is the best medicine for this allergy? Please advice.

4 Answers

Many over the counter medicines are now available to treat allergic rhinits, or hay fever. These include antihistamines which can be taken as needed or daily and which last 24 hours. Steroid nasal sprays which are over the counter are also effective but need to be used for prolonged periods and can be used with antihistamines. Allergy immunotherapy administered by an allergist will reduce overall symptoms by 80-90% and is the closet thing to a cure for allergies.
You can use an over-the-counter antihistamine such as claritin, zyrtec, or allegra. You could also use an intranasal steroid spray such as Flonase or others. The more permanent cure usually requires immunotherapy by injections or sometimes with an FDA approved oral therapy.
Have a question aboutAllergic Rhinitis?Ask a doctor now
There is no "permanent cure" though allergy immunotherapy (allergy shots or allergy drops) can be very effective in essentially desensitizing you. There is no such thing as "best medicine". The choice of medicine depends on your symptoms - essentially you can take a nasal spray (there are at least five choices) and/or a pill (an antihistamine or leukotriene modifier) and/or decongestant or any combination of the above plus more. The choice of medicines is something you should discuss with your healthcare provider. I am sorry if this information seems too vague; it is the best answer I could come up with given the information your provided.
There really is no cure for an allergy outside of complete avoidance. The best long term treatment option would be allergen immunotherapy, also known as allergy shots, if it is an appropriate option for you. That would be determined by appropriate testing with a board-certified allergist/immunologist. From a symptomatic treatment approach, the intranasal steroids such as Flonase, Rhinocort or Nasacort OTC would work best. My recommendation would be to see a board-certified allergies and have the correct diagnosis made and then go from there. There are a variety of non-allergic conditions that cause “allergy” symptoms.