Psychologist Questions Psychologist

What drugs treat personality disorders?

My sister is 26 years old. She was diagnosed with personality disorder. What drugs treat personality disorders?

6 Answers


You have not clarified which personality disorder your sister was diagnosed with. Regarding medication, I am not able to advise as I am a licensed psychologist and not a psychiatrist. You need to contact a psychiatrist to evaluate your sister and they can then decide whether a medication is needed or a combination of medicine and psychotherapy are recommended. Is your sister in psychotherapy? Who diagnosed her with a personality disorder: her primary care physician, a psychologist, or a psychiatrist? What is their recommendation? As you can see, many factors need to be considered before making a decision regarding medicating her. 
Take care and remain safe. 

Dr. Lata Sonpal
Clonzapine, haloperidol, olanzapine and risperidone. All great
There are several prescribed medications for the different personality disorders. I strongly recommend you discuss your concerns with your sister and ask to go with her to her next scheduled appointment with her doctor OR obtain written permission to talk to her doctor regarding her medication. The best option is going with your sister so you, your sister, and the doctor can hear and understand your concern; and you can hear the doctor's concerns/recommendations first hand. Good Luck
At times, there may be an array of meds that can be prescribed from antidepressant, anti-anxiety, antipsychotics, to mood stabilizers. Consult with a psychiatrist to determine if it is needed. Psychotherapy will most likely be need ed d as well.

This site will help address your question: