Rheumatologist Questions Podiatrist

What is the best pain relief for plantar fasciitis?

I am a 61 year old male with plantar fasciitis. What is the best pain relief for plantar fasciitis?

21 Answers

There are exercises that can be done with a towel to support the calf muscles that support the foot ligaments. CBD ointment can also alleviate pain.
Stretching and custom foot orthotics
It is best to see a podiatrist. There is a myriad of treatments available from oral medications, cortisone injections, various stretching and icing exercises, shoe gear modifications, and orthotics for sneakers.
Clean up your nutrition. Increase daily water intake and decrease ingesting dehydrating foods, drinks, and substances. Use a golf ball or other hard device to massage your plantar fasciitis - use the tool to perform reflexology on yourself.
You can start with buying over-the-counter orthotics which can help improve alignment and function of the foot. You can also perform stretching exercises.

Jonathan M. Kletz, DPM
Antiinflammatories like Motrin liquidgels.
Taking the stress and strain off of the plantar fascia with good supportive footgear, arch supports/ rigid functional orthotics devices, ice, calf stretching exercises, OTC NSAIDs.

Jan David Tepper
The conservative treatment protocol for plantar fasciitis includes stretching exercises, RICE, anti-inflammatories, OTC vs custom orthotics, injection therapy, physical therapy and immobilization. I recommend you start plantar fascia exercises 10 minutes before you get out of bed and consider an anti-inflammatory for the next two weeks. I also recommend massaging your arch with a tennis ball and frozen water bottle 2-3 times a day. If you are continuing an exercise regimen you should stretch before and after the activity. Good luck to you and thank you for the question.
Hello. Calf stretches, super feet orthoses, motrin and cold water soaks are the treatment iptions that I use to treat plantar fasciitis.

Dr. Lui
There us no one thing that is best. I follow a sequence of treatments, so that if the first type of treatment doesn’t help, I move onto the second. I usually start with NSAIDs, ice massage, heel cup, rest, xrays, and wearing a higher heel than normal. After that a series of up to 3 corticosteroid injections and so on.
There is no one specific answer for the treatment of pain from plantar fasciitis. You need to be evaluated by your foot and ankle surgeon or your physician to the cause and the type of plantar fasciitis that you have. After that, there are various treatment protocols. You can be treated with foot orthotics, you can be treated with injection therapy, you can be treated with physical therapy - all those depend on the type of plantar fasciitis and the appropriate cause and effect.

Thank you,

Dr. Mark Gorman
Start with not going barefoot. Wear a solid shoe or sneakers and ice the area several times a day. If this does not work see your podiatrist.
Not just one treatment!! I call it my basic 5 home program: 1. You MUST stretch your calf muscles 15min 3x a day. 2. Ice... freeze a water bottle and rule your foot on it 3. Ibuprofen 600mg every 6-8 hours or Aleve 2 every 12 hours both on a full stomach. 4. Inserts power steps or superfeet. 5. New sneakersNo barefoot walking, including in the shower and when you wake up  at 2am. These are MUST DO's!!
Good luck.
There is not a simple answer to your question. Every body will respond differently to various treatments. The art of rehab is to find what works best for your body. I would recommend a consult with a local Physical Therapist. Most recent studies have shown positive effects of soft tissue mobilization and joint mobilization. But again, your body may require another combination of treatments. Best of luck to you.
When you are dealing with plantar fasciitis, you are dealing with inflammation which is the cause of the pain. So, getting rid of inflammation is key to treating this problem. Cortisone injections, oral anti-inflammatories, and topical anti-inflammatories may assist in getting rid of your pain. But the problem is more complicated than that.
Treat the cause, not the symptoms. A good doctor can diagnose this easily and provide alternatives.
Bio identical Steroids.
Stretching, icing, good tennis shoes with possible arch supports. If this is not successful I would recommend seeing a doctor.
-Turmeric essential oil

Dr. Liz
Plantar Fasciitis is a common condition. There can also be other conditions that can present in a similar fashion. I recommend you see a foot and ankle surgeon (podiatrist) to determine the appropriate diagnosis and treatment
Plantar fasciitis is an inflammatory condition of the ligament that connects the ball of the foot to the heel, which can progress to a degenerative condition if it does not improve. Ice, stretching, massage, anti-inflammatories, topical pain creams, proper supportive shoes, and rest are the initial treatments. If this does not help after a couple weeks, or gets worse, see your podiatrist for a proper evaluation and treatment plan.