Dementia may not be stoppable, but you can delay its onset
There is still a great deal of research that needs to be done to determine if dementia is preventable and reversible. There are, however, known risk factors you can control that might delay the onset of dementia.
You can decrease your risk of dementia by:
- Keeping glucose levels under control
- Healthy cholesterol levels
- Maintaining healthy blood pressure
- Keep your weight under control
- Stop smoking and drinking excessive amounts of alcohol
- Keep your mind active and engaged in stimulating activities
- Sleep at least 7-8 hours each night
If you or a loved one has Alzheimer’s and dementia in any form, there are places, foundations, medical interventions, and support groups that will help you lead a better life. Connect with other caregivers or those who are suffering and truly understand what you are going through. There are local support groups, and the Alzheimer’s Association has chapters across the country full of caring people who will give you the support you need.