What Can Trigger MDD?
Environmental and genetic factors, as well as stressful events in life can trigger MDD.
Common Causes of MDD include:
- Stressful life events, such as the loss of a loved one through death, divorce, or separation
- Alcohol or drug abuse
- Certain medical conditions, such as cancer or underactive thyroid
- Certain medications, such as steroids
- Major life changes, such as moving, job change, or retirement
- Social isolation
- Physical, emotional, or sexual abuse
- Personal conflicts in relationships