One type of recipe that is a great, quick and easy option for dinner is a one-pan recipe. This is a one-pan recipe for balsamic glazed chicken and potatoes, and if you serve it with salad or vegetables, you will have yourself an easy and tasty balanced dinner.
This recipe calls for the following ingredients. You will need:
- Four chicken thighs with the bone still in (Keep in mind boneless pieces will cook, and therefore overcook, much quicker. This is why we used bone-in chicken. You can use any type of chicken you like, just make sure you keep an eye on it so you cook it to perfection.)
- Two cloves of minced garlic
- One tablespoon of whole grain mustard
- One-half cup of balsamic vinegar
- One and a half tablespoon of honey
- Cracked black pepper
- Olive oil
- Two pounds of small red potatoes
- Five sprigs of rosemary, two of them chopped
How to make balsamic glazed chicken and potatoes
Here are the steps you should follow to make this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine your garlic, mustard, balsamic vinegar, honey, half tablespoon of salt, and half tablespoon of cracked black pepper. This is your marinade.
- Thoroughly toss your chicken thighs in the marinade, and be sure all sides of your chicken are coated. Set aside your marinated chicken in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to two hours so it can soak up the flavor.
- To prepare the potatoes: Cut the potatoes in half, or quarters if they are large. Combine the potatoes with the chopped rosemary sprigs, 1/2 teaspoon of cracked black pepper, a pinch of salt, and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Mix thoroughly to flavor the potatoes and even the seasoning. Set aside.
- Bring 1 tablespoon of olive oil to a medium-high heat in a skillet. When the pan is hot, place the chicken in skin-side down. Sear for one minute.
- Pour the marinade that the chicken was soaking in over the chicken.
- Flip the chicken and sear the other side for 30 seconds to one minute.
- Add the potatoes to the pan, being sure to fill in any spaces in the pan.
- Lay fresh rosemary sprigs over the top.
- Cook in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, until the chicken and potatoes are tender, and until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve with pan drippings.
How to prep and cook chicken
Raw chicken can cause contamination and lead to harm if bacteria from the raw chicken is consumed. So, it is necessary to handle raw chicken with extreme caution. Wash all utensils that came in contact with your raw chicken, including your cutting board, with hot water and soap before using them again. Wash your hands, too!
Also be careful when it comes to your marinades. If you use marinade to baste your chicken, make sure you use it at the beginning of the cooking process so bacteria is cooked out.
Be sure that your chicken is fully cooked all the way through. Utilize a meat thermometer if you have one, and check that the chicken is 165 degrees F. If you don't have a meat thermometer, you can also cut into the thickest part of the chicken to check if it is cooked thoroughly. There should be no pink color to your chicken, and its juices should be clear. If there are no juices at all, this means you probably overcooked your chicken.