- High blood sugar levels: There are certain women who tend to develop symptoms as well as signs of high level so blood sugar in their body.
- Increase in thirst: Due to gestational diabetes it can also lead to dehydration as well as lead to an increase in thirst.
- Frequent urination: Gestational diabetes is also associated with the need to pee very much often.
- Dryness in mouth: Due to excessive loss of water caused in urination can lead to unusual dryness in the mouth.
- Tiredness: Often individuals who suffer from gestational diabetes would suffer from symptoms such as exhaustion or tiredness.
- Infections: This medical condition tends to weaken the immune system thereby making the body susceptible to various infections such as thrush.
- For those who experience symptoms such increase in thirst, frequent case of urination, increase in blood pressure and infections including thrush would need immediate doctor’s assistance. The doctor after thorough examination would recommend certain mechanisms for controlling the blood sugar levels by carrying out a practice of healthy eating and regular physical exercise. It is always better to seek medical care as early as possible so that the doctor can identify and evaluate the risk of gestational diabetes as part of the overall childbearing plan. To ensure that the blood sugar level has reached back to its normal post the baby is born, the medical team would check the levels just right after the delivery and then again in six weeks’ time. Once those who have been identified with gestational diabetes should ensure to regularly carry out the testing.
- Preventing gastric diabetes: Intake of healthy diet which comprises of fresh vegetables and fruits can help to reduce the risk of getting gestational diabetes. While there are no specific diets which can be recommended for all the women suffering from this condition but by following a proper meal plan would help in lowering the sugar levels as well as to avoid any kind of complications. One can reach out to a nutritionist who can design a proper meal plan taking into account the preferences as well as schedules of the individual. It is often recommended to go in for variety of food items and to stick to smaller portions instead of one large meal.
- Exercising is known to help in burning down the excess glucose present in the body for battling the insulin resistance. Try to carry out at least two hours a week of moderate kind of exercises. One of the method to get it done is by staying active for 30 minutes a day and for five days a week if not on a regular basis. It is fine to stay active in blocks of ten minutes or more through the entire day as well as week. Carrying out regular and moderate form of exercise during the pregnancy period would help the body to better use insulin and also control the blood sugar levels. For those who were not exercising on a regular basis or were not exercising prior to being pregnant should first speak to the doctor before they start off with the exercise plan. Carrying out low form of activities such as walking, swimming would turn out to be mostly good for those pregnant. One can also go in for special exercise classes for pregnant women.
When diagnosed with gestational diabetes would mean that the one should carry out regular visits to the doctor and at these visits, the doctor would check the blood sugar levels as well as test the urine sample. You will also discuss other things with the doctor such as what have you been eating, how much of exercises has been carried out and how much of weight have you gained. One of the best way to treat the case of gestational diabetes is to change the way one eats and also to regularly exercise. In case if the blood sugar levels are too high then they may need to go in for diabetes medicines or insulin shots.
Insulin injections turn out to be standard medicines for those suffering from gestational diabetes. The doctor can prescribe fast acting insulin which can be taken before meal or a long acting insulin which can be taken at bed time or upon waking up.