For extra flavor, we added peanut butter to our banana ice cream. We added additional toppings including dark chocolate chips and chocolate syrup as well. You don't have to add anything extra to your banana ice cream. But, you can add whatever variety of toppings you would like if you wish to! Butters like peanut butter and almond butter will make the ice cream have a velvety texture, and you can keep that in mind.
This recipe makes one large serving or two small servings of ice cream.
The ingredients you will need
If you want to follow our recipe, the items you need include:
- Two bananas (which you will cut into chunks and freeze)
- One tablespoon of natural peanut butter or any natural nut butter of your choice
- Any toppings (we used dark chocolate syrup, dark chocolate chips, raspberry, and mint)
How to make banana ice cream:
- Chop the bananas into one-inch pieces and freeze these banana pieces for at least two hours. You can freeze them for as long as overnight.
- Once the banana pieces are frozen, blend them on high, mixed with the peanut butter.
- If the mixture is too thick, you can add any type of milk of your choice such as almond milk.
- Scoop the mixture out of the blender into a serving bowl or dish when it is creamy.
- If you would like to put in any extras, like chocolate chips or granola, put them right into your ice cream.
- It should be a soft-serve consistency. If you want a harder texture, put your ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and it freeze for an hour.
- When you're ready to eat, top your dessert with any toppings you would like.
Remember, you can make your ice cream with just the frozen bananas if you prefer. No other ingredients are necessary. However, there are some healthy toppings we suggest.
Healthy toppings to consider
- Shredded coconut
- Condensed milk
- Espresso beans
- Cooked apples
Why banana ice cream?
There are many benefits to making ice cream with banana as your base. Bananas are naturally vegan, vegetarian, dairy-free and gluten free, so they can be a part of numerous restrictive diets. People who are lactose intolerant cannot eat dairy ice cream, so making it with bananas is a perfect healthy solution.
Banana ice cream is easy to make, as long as you have a freezer to freeze the bananas and a blender to blend them into an ice cream.
You can also add whatever toppings or add-ins that you would like.
Banana ice cream is healthier than dairy ice cream. In one cup, it has 100 calories compared to 140 calories in dairy vanilla ice cream. It also has 422 mg of potassium compared to 131 mg of potassium found in vanilla ice cream. Banana ice cream has just 0.1 grams of saturated fat, while dairy vanilla ice cream has 4.5 grams. However, as bananas have a naturally high sugar content, both types of ice cream have 14 grams of sugar. Natural sugar is better than added sugar, though!