Findings from several studies have found that scars following breast cancer surgery can significantly impact a woman’s psychological and emotional recovery. They can even have an impact a woman’s quality of life because they can affect self-confidence level, overall body image, and approach to intimacy.
- 87% of women are self-conscious because of their scars
- 82% of women have not worn a certain item of clothing because it reveals their scars
- 76% of women did not realize how uncomfortable their scars would make them feel when someone else saw them undressed
- 72% of women did not realize how uncomfortable their scars would make them feel when they undressed themselves
- 72% of women are unhappy with the location of their scars