There are a number of different factors that affect someone's skin, whether it be the person's overall health, their genes, their age, or even the cold temperature outside. But, having it can be a little embarrassing. While hydrating and replenishing the lost moisture are vital steps in keeping the skin radiant and smooth, it is also important to maintain both external and internal care.
Here are several tips to help get rid of dry skin:
- According to skin care experts, spending a long time in hot water takes away the protective oil layer from the skin. This oil barrier is important to trap the moisture on the skin in order to keep it smooth. So if you want to enjoy a shower and have silky, smooth skin, reduce the temperature of the water and have a short, if not quick, warm shower.
- Gentle cleansers are more skin friendly when compared to harsh, fragrant soaps. Opt for a mild cleanser or shower gel for your bath. Use cleansers containing ceramides, which help to retain moisture on the skin.
- Remember to apply moisturizer when the skin is damp after the bath. Avoid wiping the skin completely dry. Instead, pat it dry with a towel and top it up with a good moisturizer.
- In winter, have your humidifier on to avoid dry air. Dry air can take the life out of your skin.
- Hydrate yourself by drinking plenty of water. Drinking water also helps to flush out the toxins from the body.
- Be sure to have foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential to replenish the oil barrier of the skin. Eat more of flax seeds, walnuts, and fishes like salmons and sardines.
- Avoid toners and astringents containing alcohol as it dries out the skin.
- Dryness can also be caused by excessive exposure to the sun. Use broad spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or above. To avoid an excess amount of exposure, wear the appropriate accessories, like a wide-brimmed hat or scarf.
While choosing the right moisturizer, look for the ingredients that can maintain the skin's moisture. Some of these ingredients are:
- Hyaluronic acid
- Petroleum jelly
- Mineral oils
- Bathing in hot water can take away the protective oil layer from the skin, which can prevent the skin from staying hydrated.