Women's Health

Surviving Breast Cancer Has Given Julie Stokes a New Legislative Purpose

Her breast cancer journey inspired new legislative purpose

Although Stokes stressed that cancer-related issues was not something she thought she would be talking about a year ago, she is using her personal experience, which came with a sense of urgency, to serve a new legislative purpose. “To keep this in perspective, 40,000 women a year die from breast cancer. I got really lucky. The one I had, I had about a third of a chance that chemo would kill it,” she said. Although she was given the all-clear and an 85% chance that the cancer will not recur, she said that “that 15 percent hangs over your head like a dark cloud.”