Dr. Nabil Munfakh is a cardiothoracic surgeon practicing in Saint Louis, MO. Dr. Munfakh specializes in surgical procedues of vital organs in the chest such as the heart, lungs, esophagus and more. As a cardiothoracic surgeon, Dr. Munfakh typically treats conditions like heart disease and lung disease. This class of surgeon can also include cardiac surgeons, cardiovascular surgeons, congenital heart surgeons and general thoracic surgeons.
Education and Training
Univ of Mi Med Sch, Ann Arbor Mi 1985
University of Michigan Medical School 1985
SurgeryAmerican Board of SurgeryABS
Thoracic SurgeryAmerican Board of Thoracic SurgeryABTS
- The beneficial hemodynamic effects of selective patent vertical vein following repair of obstructed total anomalous pulmonary venous drainage in infants.
- Norepinephrine increases the economy of pressure development in isolated canine hearts.
- Fungal osteomyelitis masquerading as a chest wall tumor.
- A Reminder of Methylene Blue's Effectiveness in Treating Vasoplegic Syndrome after On-Pump Cardiac Surgery.
- Listed in Best Doctors in America (Best Doctors, Inc.) National Board 2008-2013
- Dr. Munfakh is consistently recognized in The Best Doctors in America
- Heart Disease
- Lung Cancer
- Coronary Artery Disease (cad)
- Med Coll Of Virginia Hosp, Thoracic Surgery; Univ Of Ky Hosp, General Surgery
- Valley Health System/Medical College of Virginia/Virginia Commonwealth University Program
- Research Fellowship: Cardiovascular Surgery, Department of Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 1989
- Cardiothoracic Surgery, Medical College of Virginia 1993
- Virginia Commonwealth University Medical College of Virginia Richmond
Dr. Nabil A. Munfakh, M.D.'s Practice location
Request An Appointment With Dr. Nabil A. Munfakh, M.D. | Cardiothoracic Surgeon
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. Nabil A. Munfakh, M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Munfakh
Get to know Cardiothoracic Surgeon Dr. Nabil A. Munfakh, who serves patients in St. Louis, Missouri.
Consistently recognized in The Best Doctors in America, Dr. Munfakh is an experienced cardiothoracic surgeon who is affiliated with Barnes-Jewish Hospital & Christian Hospital in St. Louis, Missouri.
The doctor’s areas of clinical interest include: adult cardiac surgery, heart surgery, coronary artery bypass surgery, arrhythmia surgery, treatment of acquired and congenital diseases of the heart, vascular disease, valvular reconstruction, intraoperative transesophageal echocardiography, myocardial infarction, pulmonary hypertension, emphysema, thoracic malignancies, lung volume reduction, lung surgery, and thoracic disease.
Licensed to practice medicine in Kentucky, Michigan, Louisiana, Missouri, and Illinois, Dr. Munfakh earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan Medical School in 1985. He then went on to complete his residency in general surgery at the University of Kentucky Hospital in 1988, followed by his research fellowship in cardiovascular surgery within the Department of Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital in 1989. A few years later, in 1993, he completed his fellowship in cardiothoracic surgery at the Medical College of Virginia.
A member of the Society of Thoracic Surgeons and the American College of Surgeons, he is board-certified in thoracic and cardiac surgery by the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, which is an American surgical organization devoted to surgery of the chest.
Additionally, he is board-certified in general surgery by the American Board of Surgery, which is an independent, non-profit organization located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, founded for the purpose of certifying surgeons who have met a defined standard of education, training and knowledge.
Alongside his clinical role, Dr. Munfakh serves as a Professor of Surgery within the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. It is a part of Washington University Physicians.
Cardiothoracic surgery is the field of medicine involved in the surgical treatment of organs inside the thorax. Cardiothoracic surgeons are medical doctors who specialize in surgical procedures inside the thorax, which may involve the heart, lungs, esophagus, and other organs in the chest. Alongside performing surgery, they also diagnose and treat diseases of these organs.
An authority in his field, Dr. Munfakh is the recipient of several awards and honors, including Compassionate Doctor Recognition (2018), On-Time Doctor Award (2018), and Patients’ Choice Award (2016, 2017, 2018).
In addition to English, he speaks Arabic.
- Are There Benign and Malignant Tumors of the Heart?
It is a well-known fact that in the body, in various tissues due to various reasons, neoplasms sometimes appear in the form of tumor growths. The heart is not an exception. The tumor growth can be benign and malignant. Therefore, there are two types of the heart tumors.Benign tumors These do not...
- Congestive Heart Failure: What is Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery (CABG)?
Congestive Heart Failure is the leading cause of emergency hospitalization among people aged over sixty. It is a condition where the heart is inefficient in pumping the required amount of blood to the other parts of the body. This inefficiency can sometimes be so severe that it can impair the...
- Alternative Remedies to Treat Cardiovascular Diseases
Herbal Treatment of the heart has been used by mankind for centuries and has shown an excellent effect. Especially effective was the use of medicinal plants in the case of chronic diseases, such as atherosclerosis and hypertension, where treatment involves a particular duration and a comprehensive...
- How Does your Triglyceride Level Affect You?
Triglycerides are produced as a product of breakdown of fats. It is also produced from carbohydrates to be stored as energy. Triglycerides are generally stored in fat cells and released when needed.The healthy range or normal level of triglycerides in the body is less than 150 milligrams per...
- What Is an Arrhythmia?
An arrhythmia is the violations of the frequency, rhythm, and sequence of heart contractions.Why do arrythmias occur?...
- Atrial Fibrillation: What is a Catheter Ablation?
Atrial fibrillation - also known as AF or a-fib - is a medical condition that affects the rhythm of the heart. Problems that affect the rhythm of the heart cause a condition known as arrhythmia. This condition often causes irregular blood flow. It is quite common, with more than 200,000 cases in the...
- Dr. Ralph J Damiano MD4921 Parkview Pl Saint Louis MO 63110
- Dr. Michael K Pasque MD4921 Parkview Pl Saint Louis MO 63110
- Dr. Bryan Fitch Meyers MD4921 Parkview Pl Saint Louis MO 63110
- Dr. Ted E Garrett M.D.2355 Dougherty Ferry Rd Saint Louis MO 63122
- Dr. Mark L Blucher M.D.625 S New Ballas Rd Saint Louis MO 63141
- Dr. Andrew C Fiore MD3635 Vista Saint Louis MO 63110