Dr. Barbara R Sommer MD
Psychiatrist | Psychiatry401 Quarry Rd Room 2338 Palo Alto CA, 94304
Dr. Barbara Sommer is a psychiatrist practicing in Palo Alto, CA. Dr. Sommer is a medical doctor specializing in the care of mental health patients. As a psychiatrist, Dr. Sommer diagnoses and treats mental illnesses. Dr. Sommer may treat patients through a variety of methods including medications, psychotherapy or talk therapy, psychosocial interventions and more, depending on each individual case. Different medications that a psychiatrist might prescribe include antidepressants, antipsychotic mediations, mood stabilizers, stimulants, sedatives and hypnotics. Dr. Sommer treats conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD, eating disorders, bipolar disorders, personality disorders, insomnia, ADD and other mental illnesses.
Education and Training
New York Med Coll- Valhalla Ny 1979
New York Medical College 1979
Psychiatry and NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyABPN- Geriatric Psychiatry
- Quetiapine-Induced extrapyramidal side effects in patients with Parkinson's disease: case report.
- Comparison of desipramine and cognitive/behavioral therapy in the treatment of elderly outpatients with mild-to-moderate depression.
- Is dopamine administration possibly a risk factor for delirium?
- Safety of antidepressants in the elderly.
- Orange juice-induced hyperkalemia in schizophrenia.
- The effect of oxybutynin treatment on cognition in children with diurnal incontinence.
- A case of baclofen-induced psychotic depression.
- Safety and tolerability of mood-stabilising anticonvulsants in the elderly.
- Safety and efficacy of anticonvulsants in elderly patients with psychiatric disorders: oxcarbazepine, topiramate and gabapentin.
- Role of psychiatric comorbidity on cognitive function during and after the menopausal transition.
- Review of topiramate for the treatment of epilepsy in elderly patients.
- Glycopyrrolate versus atropine in post-ECT amnesia in the elderly.
- Metabolism of thioridazine in the elderly.
- Plasma levels of neuroleptic in patients receiving depot fluphenazine.
- Changes in tardive dyskinesia symptoms in elderly patients treated with ganglioside GM1 or placebo.
- Bipolar Disorder
- Mc Lean Hosp, Psychiatry; New England Med Ctr Hosps, Psychiatry; Baystate Med Ctr, Internal Medicine
- Tufts New Eng Med Center 1980
- Tufts - New England Medical Center 1984
- Massachusetts General Hospital 1985
- Mc Lean Hospital 1985
Dr. Barbara R Sommer MD's Practice location
Palo Alto, CA 94304Get Direction
Dr. Barbara R Sommer MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Sommer
- What Is Venlafaxine: Uses, Side Effects, Dosage, and Interactions
Generic Name: VenlafaxineBrand Name(s): Effexor, Effexor XRIntroductionVenlafaxine belongs to the class of selective serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs), which are used for the treatment of anxiety, panic disorder, and major depressive disorder. This medication works by...
- How Depression Leads to COPD Medication Non-Adherence
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is a progressive disease that still does not have a cure. The World Health Organization predicts that COPD will become the fourth leading cause of death worldwide by 2030. The predominant cause for COPD is tobacco smoking. Most symptoms are irreversible,...
- Understanding Psychotherapy
Most of us usually become too overwhelmed when dealing with the issues affecting our lives. Cases of depression, anxiety, and mental disorders are very common today. Others struggle with weight-related issues, addiction, sexuality, relationships, and loss of jobs, among others. All these concerns...
- 5 Reasons You May Be Nauseous After Eating
Nausea is an uncomfortable feeling and a cause for concern if it constantly occurs. It can be a warning sign of disease or a medical condition that may require immediate attention. However, not all cases of nausea are a sign of an underlying illness. There are numerous reasons that an individual can...
- What Is Sertraline
Sertraline, also known as Zoloft in brand form, is an antidepressant that belongs to the group of drugs known as Select Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). Sertraline is the oral form of the drug and is usually prescribed by a doctor. Being a generic drug, sertraline is cheaper than its brand...
- How Can I Treat Anxiety at Home?
Understanding AnxietyAnxiety attacks are difficult to control without the help of a therapist. But by learning and educating oneself about anxiety may help to prevent it. Anxiety is an excessive reaction to a stressful situation, which brings in trembling, a choking feeling, pain in the heart...
- Dr. Vasdeep S. Kahlon M.D.662 Mowry Avenue Fremont California 94536
- Dr. Stanley E. Fischman M.D.2485 Hospital Drive Mountain View California 94040
- Dr. Sara Gandy M.D.401 Quarry Road Stanford California 94305
- Tammy Christine Saah2039 Forest Ave San Jose CA 95128
- Dr. Frank A. Stanton M.D.2275 Arlington Dr San Leandro CA 94578
- Dr. Mali A. Mann MD550 Hamilton Avenue Palo Alto California 94301