Dr. John Libertino is a urologist practicing in Concord, MA. Dr. Libertino specializes in diseases of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system. This includes areas of the bladder, urethra, kidneys, penis and prostate. Urology is a surgical specialty and requires knowledge in other areas of expertise such as gynecology and internal medicine due to the variety of clinical problems that are involved.
Education and Training
New York University Bachelor of Science 1961
Georgetown University School of Medicine Medical Degree 1965
New York State Medical License
Connecticut State Medical License
Massachusetts State Medical License
UrologyAmerican Board of UrologyABU
Dr. John A. Libertino, MD's Expert Contributions
There are many causes of testicular pain, but one must rule out intermittent testicular torsion. It is best to have your son seen by a urologist at the time of pain to eliminate intermittent torsion as the diagnosis. A scrotal ultrasound is helpful in making the diagnosis. READ MORE
- Vascular reconstruction in urology.
- Cryotherapy for small renal cell tumors: con.
- Immunoscintigraphy with indium-111-capromab pendetide: evaluation before definitive therapy in patients with prostate cancer.
- Clinical features and prognostic factors associated with adrenocortical carcinoma: Lahey Clinic Medical Center experience.
- Renovascular hypertension.
- Ileocecal conduit for temporary and permanent urinary diversion.
- Reversal of hypercoagulable state by bilateral nephrectomy.
- Molecular analysis of PTEN and MXI1 in primary bladder carcinoma.
- Ultrasound in diagnosis and evaluation of lymphoceles after renal transplantation.
- Expression of classic cadherins type I in urothelial neoplastic progression.
- Ca 125 as a marker of tumor activity in advanced urothelial malignancy.
- Loss of heterozygosity and microsatellite instability at chromosomal sites 1Q and 10Q in morphologically distinct regions of late stage prostate lesions.
- Renal angiomyolipoma in adult-type polycystic disease.
- Renal cell carcinoma.
- Renal cell carcinoma.
Faculty Titles & Positions
- Associate in Surgery University of Rochester School Of Medicine 1966 - 1967
- Associate in Surgery Yale University School of Medicine 1967 - 1969
- Instructor in Surgery Yale University School of Medicine 1969 - 1970
- Clinical Instructor in Surgery Harvard Medical School 1976 - 1979
- Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery Harvard Medical School 1979 - 1999
- Premedical Tutor Quincy House, Harvard College 1988 - 1995
- Clinical Professor of Urology Tufts University School of Medicine 1996 - 2006
- Professor of Urology Tufts University School of Medicine 2006 - Present
- Senior Staff Urologist Department of Urology, Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1970 - 2016
- Director, Renal Transplant Service Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1970 - 1988
- Urologist, Department of Urology New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston 1970 - 1990
- Urologist, Department of Urology New England Baptist Hospital, Boston 1970 - 1980
- Consultant, Department of Urology Children’s Hospital Medical Center 1981 - Present
- Vice Chairman, Division of Surgery Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1983 - 1984
- Chairman, Division of Surgery Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1984 - 1995
- Physicians Compensation Committee Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1984 - 1999
- Chairman, Department of Urology Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1991 - 2016
- CEO Massachusetts Region Lahey Hitchcock Medical Center 1994 - 1997
- Senior Vice President, Chair of Urology Emerson Hospital 2016 - Present
- Director, Sophia Gordon Cancer Center Lahey Clinic Medical Center 2009 - 2013
- Member, Board of Trustees Lahey Clinic Medical Center 2009 - 2016
- Vice Chairman, Board of Trustees Lahey Clinic Medical Center 1999 - 2009
- Beta Lambda Sigma 1960 Honorary Biology Society
- Men’s Honorary Society 1960
- President of Student Body 1960
- Neurology Prize 1965
- Abraham Jacobi Prize and Award in Pediatrics 1965
- Nu Sigma Award 1970 Yale University School of Medicine
- Hugh Hampton Young Award 1988 American Urological Association
- Milton and Natalie Zucker Clinical Teaching Prize for Outstanding Clinical Teaching 2006 Tufts University School of Medicine
- Lahey Clinic Medical Research Award 2010
- Dr. Lahey Award 2012
- Samuel Moschella Educator of the Year Award 2014
- Legends in Urology 2017 Canadian Journal of Urology
- Prostate Cancer
- Kidney Cancer
- American Urological Association
- Diplomate of the National Board of Medical Examiners
- Diplomate of the American Board of Urology
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Yale-New Haven Medical Center Chief Resident in Urology 1970
- Yale-New Haven Medical Center Associate Resident in Urology 1969
- NIH & Georgetown University School of Medicine Cardiovascular Research Fellowship 1964
- Yale University School of Medicine Harvey Cushing Fellowship in Surgery 1969
Professional Society Memberships
- American Urological Association
Dr. John A. Libertino, MD's Practice location
Concord, MA 01742Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Dr. John A. Libertino, MD | Urologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Dr. John A. Libertino, MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Libertino
Get to know Urologist Dr. John A. Libertino, who serves patients in Concord, Massachusetts.
Dr. Libertino is a world renowned board-certified urologist whose clinical interests include urologic surgery, adrenal cancer, renal cancer, bladder cancer, continent diversions, prostate cancer, urethral cancer, and testes cancer. He can be found on staff at Emerson Hospital in Concord, Massachusetts.
Founded in 1911, Emerson Hospital is a full-service hospital with more than 300 primary care doctors and specialists who care for everything from arrhythmias to wound care. Emerson Hospital’s urologists provide comprehensive medical and surgical services for urologic conditions, offering today’s most advanced diagnostic and treatment expertise. These services include: world-class expertise for treating urologic cancers, advanced treatments for prostate enlargement and obstruction, minimally invasive treatments for kidney, bladder and ureteral stones, erectile dysfunction (ED) treatments, infertility services, incontinence therapies, and pediatric care.
Throughout his extensive professional background, Dr. Libertino has served as in various roles, including: Associate in Surgery at the University of Rochester School of Medicine (1966 – 1967), Associate in Surgery at the Yale University School of Medicine (1967 – 1969), Instructor in Surgery at the Yale University School of Medicine (1969 – 1970), Clinical Instructor in Surgery at Harvard Medical School (1976 – 1979), Assistant Clinical Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School (1979 – 1999), Premedical Tutor Quincy House at Harvard College (1988 – 1995), Clinical Professor of Urology at Tufts University School of Medicine (1996 – 2006), Senior Staff Urologist within the Department of Urology at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1970 – 2016), Director of Renal Transplant Service at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1970 – 1988), Urologist within the Department of Urology at New England Deaconess Hospital, Boston (1970 – 1990), Urologist within the Department of Urology at New England Baptist Hospital, Boston (1970 – 1980), Vice Chairman of the Division of Surgery at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1983 – 1984), Chairman, of the Division of Surgery at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1984 – 1995), member of the Physicians Compensation Committee at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1984 – 1999), Chairman within the Department of Urology at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1991 – 2016), CEO of Lahey Medical Center (1994 – 1999), Director of the Sophia Gordon Cancer Center at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (2009 – 2013), Member of the Board of Trustees at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (2009 – 2016), and Vice Chairman of the Board of Trustees at Lahey Clinic Medical Center (1999 – 2009). At present, he serves as a Consultant within the Department of Urology at Children’s Hospital Medical Center (since 1981) and as a full academic Professor of Urology at Tufts University School of Medicine (since 2006).
A Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of the American Urological Association, the doctor is board-certified in urology by the American Board of Urology (ABU). The mission of the ABU is to act for the benefit of the public by establishing and maintaining standards of certification for urologists, as well as to work with certified urologists to achieve lifelong learning to ensure the delivery of high quality, safe, and ethical urologic care.
In the early days of his academic career, Dr. Libertino obtained his medical degree from the Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C in 1965. Upon graduation, he completed his residency in urology and his fellowship in surgery at the Yale University School of Medicine.
Urology, also known as genitourinary surgery, is the branch of medicine that focuses on surgical and medical diseases of the male and female urinary-tract system and the male reproductive organs. Urologists specialize in diseases of the urinary tract and the male reproductive system. Patients may be referred to a urologist if their physician suspects they may need treatment for a condition relating to the bladder, urethra, ureters, kidneys, and adrenal glands.
As a testament to his success, Dr. Libertino has been the recipient of numerous accolades, including: Legends in Urology by Canadian Journal of Urology (2017), Samuel Moschella Educator of the Year Award (2014), Dr. Lahey Award (2012), Lahey Clinic Medical Research Award (2010), Milton and Natalie Zucker Clinical Teaching Prize for Outstanding Clinical Teaching from Tufts University School of Medicine (2006), Hugh Hampton Young Award from the American Urological Association (1988), Nu Sigma Award from the Yale University School of Medicine (1970), Abraham Jacobi Prize and Award in Pediatrics (1965), and Neurology Prize (1965), among others.
- What are the Treatment Options for Genital Warts?
Genital Warts is an STD in which a person develops soft growth on the genital areas. Though the visible warts go away on their own, it becomes difficult to treat them when HPV virus enters the bloodstream. There is no remedy for removing HPV completely but the visible warts can be removed either...
- Treatments For Genital Herpes
Even though there is no cure for genital herpes, several treatments are available. Treatment of genital herpes is aimed at relieving symptoms and reducing the frequency of recurrent infections (outbursts). Most cases of herpes may be resolved without treatment. However, treatment is important as it...
- What Is Hydrocele Repair?
Hydrocele repair is a surgical process that aims to correct the swelling of the scrotum that occurs as a result of hydroceles. A hydrocele is a painless buildup of fluid around the testicles. Fluid buildup causes the scrotum and the groin area to swell. This swelling can make you uncomfortable even...
- Specialists Who Treat Erectile Dysfunction
What Specialists Treat Erectile Dysfunction?Erectile dysfunction is a condition that can be brought about by a number of factors. Depending on the underlying cause of the disease, you may have to seek out various treatment options from different doctors or specialists.Choosing the right doctor to...
- What Is Erectile Dysfunction: Get the Facts
Erectile dysfunction (ED) is a condition in which a man is unable to get or maintain an erection long enough during sexual activity to satisfy his sexual needs. The condition was referred as impotence before medical research highlighted the underlying causes. Most men encounter erection problems at...
- What is Porn-Induced Erectile Dysfunction?
Today's market is full of medicines available to control sexual activities. Most of the techniques are available to enhance the sexual interest among the people of all different age groups and help in performing sexual activities. Every day, the market gets buzzed with new form of sexual devices,...
- Dr. Arthur P Mourtzinos M.D.41 Mall Rd Burlington MA 01805
- Dr. Karim J Hamawy M.D.41 Mall Rd Burlington MA 01805
- Dr. Pierre John Mendoza Other9 W Broadway Boston MA 02127
- Dr. John T Stoffel MD41 Mall Rd Burlington MA 01805
- Dr. Kathy G Niknejad M.D.230 WORCESTER ST WELLESLEY MA 02481
- Dr. Jessica A Mandeville MD41 Mall Rd Burlington MA 01805