Dr. Steven Machtinger practices Allergy, Asthma and Immunology in San Mateo, CA. He specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of asthma and other allergic diseases of infants, children and adults. Allergist-Immunologists are trained and certified to treat each patient's sensitivity and response to environmental allergens. They are also trained to identify and differentiate the allergic and immunologic causes of diseases affecting the respiratory and gastrointestinal tracts and the skin. Dr. Machtinger provides several means of testing and treatment to improve immunity to potentially harmful substances. Before I trained in allergy-immunology-and respiratory diseases at Stanford, I worked for two years as a general practitioner in Oregon with the Indian Health Service and then completed residency in Pediatrics at Stanford. My wife and I have two grown children and three granddaughters. In my spare time I enjoy cycling, hiking and playing the acoustic guitar.
Education and Training
Univ of Pittsburgh Sch of Med, Pittsburgh Pa 1977
American Board of Allergy and Immunology
American Board of Pediatrics
PediatricsAmerican Board of PediatricsABP
Mr. Steven B Machtinger MD's Expert Contributions
That's a tough question to answer. Since you tolerate soybeans you may not be allergic to soy protein. Most people allergic to soy protein can tolerate some soy products. Soy sauce is made by fermenting soy beans and this appears to render the allergens inactive for most soy-allergic individuals. Soy lecithin is a fat and contains no soy allergen (unless as a contaminant) so that too is typically tolerated by soy-allergic persons. Soy "milk" is not a true milk and often contains other ingredients to make the beverage more milk-like in consistency, smoothness, pour-ability and taste. Some of these ingredients may be vegetable gums or natural flavors. You might be allergic to these extra ingredients rather than to soy. You should be able to resolve this problem with the assistance of a board-certified allergist. Alternatively you could try other brands of soy milk to see if this problem occurs with all or most of them or with just one brand. Steve Machtinger, MD FAAAAI READ MORE
Areas of expertise and specialization
Faculty Titles & Positions
- President Allergy, Asthma & Immunology Foundation of Northern California 2010 - 2016
- Board Member Western Society of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology 2015 - 2016
- Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor Stanford Medical School 2009 - 2016
- American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
- Stanford Univ Hosp, Pediatrics; Univ Ca Irvine Med Ctr, Pediatrics
- Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford ( Palo Alto, CA )
- Mills Health Center ( San Mateo, CA )
- Sequoia Hospital ( Redwood City, CA )
- Stanford Hospital ( Stanford, CA )
Mr. Steven B Machtinger MD's Practice location
San Mateo, CA 94401Get Direction
Request An Appointment With Mr. Steven B Machtinger MD | Allergist and Immunologist
Please note that this request is not considered final until you receive email notification confirming the details.
In the event the doctor is not yet registered with FindaTopDoc, we will contact the office on your behalf in an effort to secure your appointment.
Mr. Steven B Machtinger MD's reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Machtinger
- Everything You Need to Know About the Chicken Pox Vaccine
The chicken pox vaccine is the medicine given to people who are susceptible to the disease and hence protects one against the vaccine. This vaccine that causes the chickenpox disease is the varicella vaccine. This chicken pox vaccine is usually excavated from a weak virus. This weak virus is...
- Are Food Allergies More Common in Children Than we Thought?
The results of a large study published in the journal Pediatrics, has shown that childhood food allergies are more common and dangerous than previously thought. In this study, researchers conducted a detailed survey of about 38,000 families who had at least one child under the age of 18-years-old....
- How Your Immune System Works
What is the immune system and how does it work?The immune system is regarded as the natural defense system in your body. The immune system, together with a network of cells and tissues, as well as body organs, protects your body against harmful foreign invaders or substances. Examples of foreign...
- Different Types of Physicians Explained
Doctors or physicians are categorized according to different factors including medical specialties and subspecialties. Most doctors specialize in a specific area of medicine. This article provides a summary of the different types of doctors in the medical field. AllergistsAllergists are also...
- Is Asthma a Lifelong Condition?
Termed under a common lung disorder in which inflammation causes the bronchi to swell and narrow the airways, asthma is known for creating breathing difficulties that may attack any age group or set of individuals. Asthma is a long-term disease that has no cure, but it can be controlled by following...
- What is an Asthma Cough?
The cough that simply refuses to go away, which stays uninvited for six weeks or more, transforming into a chronic problem that may be hiding serious internal issues, would be an asthma cough. It will nag you, it will persist, and it will rob you of your peace of mind. The distress that coughing...
- Dr. Dobri Kiprov MD., P.C.1700 California Street San Francisco California 94109
- Dr. Sanjeev Jain M.D.; PHD3448 Mowry Avenue Freemont California 94538
- William H. Chau414 Clement Street San Francisco CA 94118
- Dr. Dean G. Kardassakis MD1828 El Camino Real Burlingame CA 94010
- Dr. Hailen Mak MD1101 Welch Rd Palo Alto CA 94304
- Dr. Michael Joseph Mulligan MD701 E El Camino Real Mountain View CA 94040