Dr. James W. Gallagher M.D.
Psychiatrist | Psychiatry3300 Rivermont Ave Lynchburg VA, 24503
Dr. James Gallagher is a psychiatrist practicing in Lynchburg, VA. Dr. Gallagher is a medical doctor specializing in the care of mental health patients. As a psychiatrist, Dr. Gallagher diagnoses and treats mental illnesses. Dr. Gallagher may treat patients through a variety of methods including medications, psychotherapy or talk therapy, psychosocial interventions and more, depending on each individual case. Different medications that a psychiatrist might prescribe include antidepressants, antipsychotic mediations, mood stabilizers, stimulants, sedatives and hypnotics. Dr. Gallagher treats conditions like depression, anxiety, OCD, eating disorders, bipolar disorders, personality disorders, insomnia, ADD and other mental illnesses.
Education and Training
Univ of Wi Med Sch, Madison Wi 1998
New Jersey College of Dentistry 1998
Psychiatry and NeurologyAmerican Board of Psychiatry and NeurologyABPN
- Bipolar Disorder
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (adhd)
- Johns Hopkins Univ Sch Med, Psychiatry
- Johns Hopkins University School Med
- Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health Program A
Dr. James W. Gallagher M.D.'s Practice location
Lynchburg, VA 24503Get Direction
Dr. James W. Gallagher M.D.'s reviewsWrite Review
Patient Experience with Dr. Gallagher
- Everything You Need To Know About Multiple Sclerosis
CausesMS is the result of an abnormal response of the body’s immune system. This response results in an attack on the central nervous system — the brain, spinal cord and optic nerve. Specifically the immune system attacks the protective coating around the nerve fibers — myelin — creating...
- Why Do Hallucinations Happen?
IntroductionHallucinations are sensations that people perceive as real, but in reality, are only created by their mind. A person's five senses are often affected. Examples are hearing voices without anyone around or seeing images that are not real. Such symptoms are may due to mental illnesses, drug...
- What is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, is an anxiety disorder that a person develops after witnessing a very stressful and terrifying event. In most cases, the person must have faced a life-threatening event or an incident in which serious injury was involved. Events that trigger fear,...
- How to Prepare for Psychotherapy
Understanding PsychotherapyPsychotherapy is a form of treatment that is collaborative in nature. It is based on the relationship between a patient and a psychotherapist or simply a psychologist. This type of therapy provides an environment that allows you to openly and honestly communicate your...
- Social Anxiety Disorder: Causes, Symptoms, Treatments and More
Social Anxiety Disorder, also known as social phobia, is a type of anxiety disorder in which a person feels excessively fearful of social situations. A person suffering from this disorder lack social skills and has trouble meeting new people, talking to people, and attending social gatherings. They...
- How Can I Treat Anxiety at Home?
Understanding AnxietyAnxiety attacks are difficult to control without the help of a therapist. But by learning and educating oneself about anxiety may help to prevent it. Anxiety is an excessive reaction to a stressful situation, which brings in trembling, a choking feeling, pain in the heart...
- Dr. Patti E Croft M.D.2235 Landover Pl Lynchburg VA 24501
- Dr. Randall A. Scott Other3300 Rivermont Ave Lynchburg VA 24503
- Dr. Michael E. Judd M.D.3300 Rivermont Ave Lynchburg VA 24503
- Dr. Steven Bernard Eisenstein MD521 Colony Rd Madison Heights VA 24572
- Dr. Kara M. Rooney M.D.3300 Rivermont Ave Lynchburg VA 24503
- Dr. Peter Betz MD3300 Rivermont Ave Lynchburg VA 24503